Mountain Project Logo

Devils Lake camping

Original Post
Andrew S. · · Bighorn Basin · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 435

Looking to climb at the lake around July 6th or 7th and stay for a few days, but after looking online the camping seems to be expensive and reserved from now until the end of time. Are there other campgrounds near the lake or outside the park that aren't as expensive and might have a tent site available for about a week? Any recommendations on some camping around the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I may get shit for revealing this, but: there are drive-up first come/first serve campsites at the Lake in the Ice Age Campground.  Hit the Ranger's station and they can tell you what's available, but there's usually something.

corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5

it's been nearly 10 years since I've been there, but check out Green valley campgrounds... it's super close to dl, and last experience was that they were under management/owners and very climber friendly.  nice grounds, some RVs, no showers, but at least has hose and indoor bathroom.  I think cheaper than staying at dl too

Andrew S. · · Bighorn Basin · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 435

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I think Green Valley may be the place to check out. I'm definitely looking for a quieter place to camp while being there, my partying days are long over.

As far as the climbing goes, is it common to lead a climb and bring up the second then walk-off? Or, do most people lead climb a route, setup a TR then have the follower clean the anchor and walk-off? 

Also, is the new guidebook sold in any of the gear shops in town or at the lake? I'd like to pick one up. 

If anyone familiar with the area would be interested in climbing for a day or two after July 6th or 7th PM me. 

chris tregge · · Madison WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 11,036

Either follower or set an anchor and belay from below.  

Guidebook is available at Wildside in Baraboo just north of Devils Lake - on highway 12 as you go north/south through town, it's on the west side of the road at the last stoplight intersection as you exit town to the south (except the Walmart stoplight which is a bit further south).  

Dan DeVoll · · Janesville, WI · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Also available at boulders climbing gym in madtown. Call first

Daniel B · · Michigan · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 257

Was just out there two weekends ago. Green Valley is great, Dan and Donna are wonderful people. $10/person/night came out cheaper than most other campgrounds and we had lots of space. Super peaceful and close to the lake. Also, Wildside had a bunch of the new books on hand when we were there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Devils Lake camping"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started