Mountain Project Logo

Sport climbing in NC

Original Post
Scott D · · Tucson · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I will be doing a loop trip in NC through the Smokies, Pisgah and up to Grandfather Mtn and I'm wondering if there is any worthwhile sport climbing areas along the way. Mostly interested in climbs in the 5.8-5.10 range.  Any help would be much appreciated!  Thanks!

Ezra Ellis · · Hotlanta · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

Check out the dump and little Wilson 

Both here on mountain project 

Table rock and middle hawksbill also have some sport, a small trad rack might be helpful at these last two!

Cheers!

Efeldma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

HOWDY!!! My bf and I will be in Asheville till July 8th and would love to hit up some sport routes. We brought our climbing gear but unfortunately could not fit my rope or draws. Would anyone be interested in climbing July 5th or 6th?

Thanks Ezra!

Efeldma, if we get there before you leave the area we can meet up and climb.  We have full rack, ropes etc and are willing to lead.  I will keep you posted!

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

At those grades, The Dump will have more slabby climbs and Little Wilson will be steeper juggy climbs. 

Efeldma · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

HEY Scott and Sara! GREAT TO HEAR! whats your ETA?

We are climbing near Chatanooga TN today then headed into the Smokies.  I will keep you posted! 

Nick Hitchcock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 46

you will be hard pressed to find moderate sport.  If you feel like roasting a little, rocky face has a lot of easier stuff. 

Wblack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 5

North Carolina's best sport climbing can be found in eastern TN

Jim Corbett · · Keene, NY · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 10

Big Green. It is mostly bolted. Mostly.

Big green should never be considered a sport area unless you like 100 foot run outs between bolts.

It's a Very serious place, not to be taken lightly!

Jim Corbett · · Keene, NY · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 10
Ezra Ellis wrote:

Big green should never be considered a sport area unless you like 100 foot run outs between bolts.

It's a Very serious place, not to be taken lightly!

a) It was a mostly a joke. Mostly. But most of the gear is bolts. I remember looking across the cliff one day and seeing all this silver winking in the sun and thinking, 'there are really too many bolts here.'

b) 100' runouts is BS. I've climbed a lot of the stuff there.

c) There are a few routes that could be considered sport (Ice Weasels for instance). Foster Falls weenies might not think so, but BITD when we first looked up and saw it we thought, WTF? It is a great route though.

Jim,

I have personally climbed a route with Nathan Brown that had a 120 foot run out, you can ask him,

Maybe you have heard of him???

Lol

Nathan once had some one ask him if he onsighted a Big Green test piece, his reply was " I'm still here right "

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Sport climbing in NC"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started