Mountain Project Logo

Cirque of the Towers Rescue Aug. 26th

Original Post
Dave Kesonie · · Silverton, CO · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 205

I am looking for the physician from Brazil who helped out with my rescue over a week ago. I have your trekking poles and would like to send them back to you, along with a pizza dinner gift certificate (it won't be from Costco, However!). I really appreciate the work you put into my rescue and how your three friends likewise, involved themselves selflessly.

To all the other folks who were willing to rally in the cold evening:

Thank you so much for your support! Everyone was so professional from the outset, offering their expertise, gear, and physical help in packaging me and moving me on the backboard. You, my friends, are what makes the climbing community unique and strong. Thank you so much for the compassion. Your help in shielding me from the wind, making me comfortable, and making sure the SAR was carried out to completion was so much appreciated.

I have a few debts to repay so if you recognize me at the crag or in the mountains, say so, and I will get dinner and beer your way as fast as possible!

My injuries were minimal:

broken patella
three knocked-out teeth
five facial fractures
broken nose
open patella on my left knee only needed 10 stitches
road rash

Not bad for a 50 foot ledge fall!

Garrett and Kip: I have a new jacket and some gift certificates coming your way!

THANKS AGAIN!

Dave Kesonie

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

Glad to hear you walked away in half way decent conditions.

I'm hoping to head to the cirque for the first time next year. If there was anything specific to the area that caused your accident, anything you would have done differently anything you would give as advice based on your accident, please feel free to share. Thanks!

Also glad to hear the great responses out there.

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

I was up there on Aug 22 and someone was about three pitches up Pingora when it got dark. a party of two settled on a ledge just before dark and there headlamps popped on and I thought they were eating dinner and rigging for an overnight. Why else would you be three pitches up a ten pitch climb sitting in a ledge at 8:00pm? After 30 minutes and in total darkness they started to rappel. I could see just about everyone's headlamp in the cirque watching them. There was no yelling or any frantic activity that I could see. I watched for 30 minutes or so then went to bed. Woke up at midnight and could still see one headlamp on the wall one pitch up. I have no idea what that was about.

I figured it was a really bad place to get hurt. Good to know that there is support.

ropeman · · Belmont, CA · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

Hey Dave finally found you. My name is Samir, I am the Pizza man, I am an Engineer, my friend is the Physician, we both are from Brazil. Good to know that your injuries were minimal, at least in your perspective. The Pizza I used to distract you from that terrible situation but can't deny that I was hungry. One thing I can say is that you were strong, very positive and collaborative, in other word a rescuers dream. The trekking poles are mine. My e-mail is samir@automaq.ind.br , I will send you an a note with an US adress so you can send my trekking poles. Thanks.

Christina Robertson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Was good seeing you at the Dolores house in early June - glad you had a good mountain bike ride that morning.  Will show Joe your posts of last year's injuries and look forward to reading any articles you may write on the experience.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Cirque of the Towers Rescue Aug. 26th"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started