Mountain Project Logo

Recommended Denver area climbing destinations for late October early November?

Original Post
Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

I currently have the opportunity to get a cheap flight to Denver.  I can get time off in late October/early November.

What are some good climbing destinations in the area (say within a 3-hour drive) to hit up in late October or early November?  I'm looking to do sport and/or trad.

I just booked it.

I'll be flying in to Denver on Wednesday, October 25, arriving around noon.  I'll fly home in the early evening of Wednesday, November 1.

Daniel Joder · · Barcelona, ES · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

What Silverplume said. Keep in mind that the weather can start to become a bit fickle about then--its about when the first snow storm of the season might roll in...or you could have some balmy near-summer days. Choose your destination from Silverplume's list based on temps and weather when you get here. There should be something you can climb!

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

For whatever reason first snow seems to fall on Halloween more often than not. If it's pretty cold North Table is the default, otherwise yeah find anywhere that looks fun, tons within 3 hrs of Denver (RMNP will be way too cold for camping but climbing could be okay).

skik2000 · · Boulder · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 5

Seems like a good time of year for Shelf Rd

Silverplume wrote:

Boulder Canyon, Eldorado Canyon, Shelf Road, Lumpy Ridge, Rocky Mountain National Park, The Crags & Jurassic Park (above Estes Park), Clear Creek Canyon, North Table Mountain, Rifle, Vedauwoo (WY), Poudre Canyon, Turkey Rocks/South Platte, Elevenmile Canyon, St. Vrain Canyon, etc, etc.

Thanks for the beta!

But according to Mountain Project Lumpy Ridge, RMNP, the areas in and around Estes Park, and Rifle aren't good choices in November...

Thanks for the info, everyone!

So I've scoured the Mountain Project Route Guide for Colorado and came up with the following options:

Better choices for that time of year:

- El Dorado Canyon

- Shelf Road

- Poudre Canyon

- North Table Mountain

- Flatirons

Maybe an OK choice for that time of year:

- St. Vrain Canyons

- Clear Creek Canyon

- Garden of the Gods

- Castlewood Canyon

- Boulder Canyon

Anything wrong with any of those destinations for October/November

My current plan is to stay at an AirBnb that is centrally located to the areas where I will be climbing.

I'm also planning on renting a car.  I hope I can use the same strategy to save money on a car rental that I used in The Gunks where we took transit from the airport to Grand Central Station and then took a train to Poughkeepsie where we rented a car.

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Looks like you have a good plan Khoi. Unless it's actively snowing, North Table is pretty much guaranteed fine, though the climbing isn't the best around (plus it's a bit loud with nearby highway -- I'd really only go if everywhere else is too cold). All the others you listed (even in the second category) will likely work if you get an all day sun type spot (who knows, it could even be hot and you'll want some shade).

If you don't want to rent a car at the airport, there's a light rail service that goes to Denver and there's buses that go to Boulder. I'm not real familiar with the A-train or other transport to Denver from DIA, but I imagine you could get find some kind of car rental along A-train or nearby Union Station. If you try to get to car rental in Boulder, you'd have to do a bus transfer at some point. Google maps is your best bet to figure it out.

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10

You'll be pretty disappointed if you end up at N table.  There are very few scenarios where N Table would be in but you couldnt climb at eldo, so just go to Eldo.  

Shelf is a good option if it is cold/snowing and you want to do single pitch sport climbing.  Just be sure to bring a boom box, dog, bandana, wayfarers, and bro tank.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Recommended Denver area climbing destinations f…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started