Mountain Project Logo

Lost my ticks and stars

Original Post
John Tex · · Estes · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

Accidentally hit the logged out button on the app and when I logged back in I noticed I have lost all my ticks and star ratings since June 9th. I normally sync them as soon as I mark them so i really don't think I have forgotten to sync them since June. Any way that can be restored?

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

I'm afraid not. We're working on a new version of the app that auto-syncs data, but that won't help you now. Sorry about that!

Sara Paradis · · Lincoln, RI · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 10

I was using the ticks to cache my climbing resume for future application to AMGA rock guide course. Mountain Project, please don't add a feature that isn't ready for prime time. I didn't understand why ticks stayed in pending seemingly forever, but I didn't care because I could still reference them, now I need to try and recreate my resume from memory.

JF M · · NoCo · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,823

The feature on the old version of the app worked just fine-- if you hit the "sync now" button-- which should have been something you did if you wondered why the app and the website were "out of sync" and your ticks were pending. 

At least now the auto-sync removes that step  

Sorry you lost your data, that sucks :(

Thanks Greg, that's very helpful. I'll start etching my climbing resume in marble for posterity... 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

I think Greg was likely suggesting something along the lines of using the Export feature every once in a while and saving a copy.

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

I think Greg was likely suggesting something along the lines of using the Export feature every once in a while and saving a copy.

Thanks Alicia, I had never accessed the site on a computer so I was unaware of that feature. 

I doubt Greg's intention was to be helpful, help doesn't usually start with "no offense but..." I think his intention was to rebuke me for doing something stupid (true) and then using the forum to whine about it (guilty). 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
Sara Paradis wrote:

Thanks Alicia, I had never accessed the site on a computer so I was unaware of that feature. 

I doubt Greg's intention was to be helpful, help doesn't usually start with "no offense but..." I think his intention was to rebuke me for doing something stupid (true) and then using the forum to whine about it (guilty). 

Well, I definitely intended to be helpful. I didn't notice that feature for a long time, and I frequently access on a computer. It's easy to miss. The export format isn't super glamorous, but it works as a just-in-case backup well enough. I am sorry you lost your data! 

Squares Ryan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Can someone please explain the export/ sync feature. The steps to save the ticks rather? I just lost basically my entire list of ticks. 

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 52

Lost ticks & stars - can't think of a better thing to happen.

x15x15 · · Use Ignore Button · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 275
Sara Paradis wrote:

Thanks Greg, that's very helpful. I'll start etching my climbing resume in marble for posterity... 

No offense, but if you need the proj to keep track of your life, so you can have a quality resume... sounds rather lazy and entitled. Unless of course you have a different TOS than me. 

x15x15 · · Use Ignore Button · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 275
caughtinside wrote:

Not sure what is lazy and entitled by using a feature offered by this website. 

But good job snarking a two year old post. Well done sir. 

Dangitalltoheck... I'd tell you how and why its lazy and entitled to rely on free services to make your life goals happen, but I'm gonna wait til 2021...

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
caughtinside wrote:

Not sure what is lazy and entitled by using a feature offered by this website. 

I think he meant that it’s lazy to depend on a free web site as the only repository of information that you want to keep. 
Keep multiple backups of stuff you want and realize that any web site can vanish overnight. Personally, I have little sympathy for anyone who "looses everything" simply because they dropped their phone off a pier. While we're at it, for all you youngsters that only access via a smartphone* app, remember that often/usually the mobile app offers only a subset of functionality that a full desktop site might.
*: let's start calling them pocket computers, since they're far more than merely a phone.
Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

No tick, didn’t climb.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Colonel Mustard wrote: No tick, didn’t climb.

But I don't like ticks. They're nasty little parasite carrying bugs.

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 146

I gave up ticking my routes 30 years ago.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "Lost my ticks and stars"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started