Mountain Project Logo

Wind River Partner July

Original Post
Marco Dees · · New Paltz · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 50

Hullo! 

I'm looking for partners for long remote alpine adventures in the Wind River range in July. Happy to tackle awesome scrambles or technical rock or ice. Safe, relaxed belays. Come climb!

Chuck Sullivan · · Memphis, TN · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 802

I think the snow is going to be too heavy for this July.  We have been chatting with the folks that do gear drops at Lonesome Lake.  300 percent more snow than normal.  Do you happen to have any other information?  We have been planning this trip forever and would hate to have to find a Plan B.

Josh Hattan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 0

Yes, the Winds did have a banner snow year, but I wouldn't rule out the entire month of July. Multiple groups entered Big Sandy Opening last week to attempt the Cirque Traverse. They knew the conditions would be a bit rowdy, but they were looking forward to the adventure. I should hear back on those conditions soon. 

In a historical context, the snowpack this year was comparable to that of 2011. This year's pack ended up about 15% more, but the gauging station at Big Sandy melted out 13 days earlier than 2011. Above average spring temperatures are eating into snowpack and I honestly believe that early July is not out of the question for climbing in the Cirque. That doesn't mean it will be snow free, but rather that the snow line should be above 10,000 ft and consolidated enough to travel on. The southern aspects will be better for climbing as the rock on some of the northern aspects could be wet...adventure climbing. If that doesn't sound appealing, give it a couple more weeks. By mid July the climbing throughout the Cirque should be pretty prime.

The Great Outdoor Shop works hard to collect conditions information and pass it along. Feel free to call or email as your trip gets closer and we can relay the most current conditions.

Josh

Great Outdoor Shop

Garret Nuzzo Jones · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1,436

I could be interested in a Winds trip in July. Probably the later in July the better. If this weather keeps up things should melt out nicely but there are still a few flakes up high.

losbill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 130
Josh Hattan wrote:

The Great Outdoor Shop works hard to collect conditions information and pass it along. Feel free to call or email as your trip gets closer and we can relay the most current conditions.

Josh

Great Outdoor Shop

Josh and the entire crew at The Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale are the best.  Extremely helpful and very friendly.  If you are in Pinedale be sure to stop in, say hey and spend a bit of money.

Andre Cardona · · Seattle WA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 107

Marco , Garret; I'm also down for a adventure climbing trip to wind river in July or Agust. Just moved to Jackson from Seattle and looking to climb/explore WY.
would need some advance notice if its more than a long weekend trip, to take off from work. Let me know!

Dre

Alec Entress · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Interested in checking out the winds/cirque area July 1-8 or so, passing through on the way to the Tetons. As long as the climbs are mostly dry, I don't mind snow on the approach. Maybe if it's still snowy the mosquitoes won't be out yet? That's probably wishful thinking. 

Happy to lead some more moderate stuff, very happy to follow anything else. 

Wishful thinking is sitting on your ass on your couch due to a perceived "bug" issue while others are out enjoying one of the truly beautiful places on earth.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I think mosquitoes can ruin a trip. Even with DEET and a headnet. Nothing manly about being eaten alive! "It's just a flesh wound."

Brian E · · Western North Carolina · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 363

I'll throw my name in the hat for a potential trip in to the Winds. I've been there a few times before, and am willing to deal with bugs. I'll be in the area the week of the 16 to the 22, and the first week of August. I'm psyched on routes in the 9s and 10s, but am up for anything. 

You bet your ass I am damn bug pest badass.  

Planned to go climbing for 4 days in the Daks next week.  Unfortunately the black fly report wasn't manly enough.  So we are headed for the New Hampshire Whites instead.  The Mecca of Black Flies.  Where else could you go and on one approach and climb get chewed on by four different species of black flies.  Each species more blood thirsty and vicious than the one before.  Personally I would take the most intense mosquito conditions ever over relatively normal black fly conditions.  As a climber, hiker and big water canoeist here in the Northeast i have a vast personal database to support this conclusion.

Full disclosure my only trip to the Winds was three weeks in late August and early September.  No bugs whatsoever!  Yes I am a Winds whimp!  Did have to wrestle a black bear for our food bag however.  If that counts for anything.

If it were not for prior commitments I would be joining Marco and his happy crew in the Winds.  Marco let's hook up in the Gunks when you get back.

Marco Dees · · New Paltz · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 50

Thanks for the replies! Just back from a trip to the cirque of the towers. Plenty of snow (glad to have an ice ax on the approaches) but the rock is dry. Even better, although the mosquitos are horrendous on the approach, there isn't a single one after Jackass pass.

Mike Sullivan · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2004 · Points: 60

I'm also interested in the Winds, any time from late July through early September. This will be my third climbing trip there -- Cirque of the Towers, Deep Lake Basin.... Also interested in checking out more obscure areas.

Chuck Sullivan · · Memphis, TN · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 802

Thanks Marco and Josh for the info.  We are heading out there next week. 

longlep · · Grand Junction · Joined May 2014 · Points: 20

Does anyone want to head to Titcomb Basin or the East Fork July 24th - 30th? I have never been to either area, but am interested in I think therefore I ambush on Ambush Peak, Northeast face right/hole in the wall on Ambush Peak, South Buttress/East Face of Raid Peak, and Tower 1 West Face Left on Mt. Helen.  I am also open to other routes or other parts of the Winds.  I am heading to the Cirque this week, so I won't be able to respond to pms from the afternoon of the 18th to the 22nd.  Feel free to call or text me at 360-441-2796.  

Kali Ann Basman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Looking for wind river partner August 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Brian Baker 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 25

I'm looking for a Cirque of the towers partner starting around july 25th. Solid at 5.8. Will lead 5.9 depending on the climb. Follow 10a, 10b.  Open to what's reasonable given the partner. Never been there.  Stoked to check it out!

Kali Ann Basman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

looking for a partner at ten sleep or wind river or wild iris around aug 4th for a few days.

can lead up to 5.10a/b sport, can follow up to 5.11b trad, been on the road this summer on crag and hot spring tour.

confident and competent belay, plus ill buy you some beers if you wanna rope gun and let me flail on some vertical slabs

763-442-7648

Kali

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Wind River Partner July"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started