Mountain Project Logo

Malibu Creek Sleeping in the car

Original Post
David Park · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Hey guys, apologies if that has been covered already, but I was wondering if any of you guys know the ideal spot where I could park my car for the night to do some morning climbing at Malibu Creek. Tried getting a camping spot, but everything's booked for July 4th weekend. Hoping to avoid and tickets/towing. On another note, if anyone is free to climb and show a couple scrubs the ropes that would be totally awesome! Arriving 7/1 at night and hoping to get some climbing in Monday morning.

Thanks guys!

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I can tell you where NOT to park. Don't park on Mulholland or Malibu Canyon/Las Virgenes. Road. Those are the cross streets of the State Park. You'll get cited for sure.

If I were doing what you propose I'd find a quiet residential street over toward the 101 freeway OR park in a strip mall parking lot very discretely. There's a lot of law enforcement pressure in that area, though. 

Sean · · Oak Park, CA · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 4,402

local sheriff station is just 5 mins away over on Lost Hills.  do what no one would expect.  park and sleep right inside that station's big lot.  deputies would be too busy tending to disturbances elsewhere across Malibu, or out looking for vagrants along other city streets and backcountry roads.  they would never suspect someone would actually car bivvy right outside their front door.  it's so unthinkable that it's gotta work

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Sean wrote:

local sheriff station is just 5 mins away over on Lost Hills.  do what no one would expect.  park and sleep right inside that station's big lot.  deputies would be too busy tending to disturbances elsewhere across Malibu, or out looking for vagrants along other city streets and backcountry roads.  they would never suspect someone would actually car bivvy right outside their front door.  it's so unthinkable that it's gotta work

This ^ would probably work. 

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270
Sean wrote:

So crazy it just might work!!!!  

rozaosa · · Longmont, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 15

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

David N · · Los angeles · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

It appears there are two decent fires in the area. One pretty close to the creek. Might have trouble getting in there. 

ryan mattock · · calabasas Ca · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 441

dude just drive down to PCH.. You can park your car at sunset beach.. no hassle no problem beside you can climb TIC rock before Malibu.. LAST hills station is your last resort.. anywhere on Mulholland CAN be  okay but cops travel quite a lot being I drive it home everyday from work.. 

PCH is your smart choice.. ZUMA beach you can stay 24hr.. just no campfire anymore..

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Malibu Creek Sleeping in the car"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started