Mountain Project Logo

Descent from Carter Classic on the Davis Face

Original Post
Climb.tooth.radish Mccoll · · Cornwall-on-Hudson · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Hey there. Does anyone have some beta on the best walk off for the Carter Classic? A comment on the climb description mentions a gulley on the left 'cliff facing' but I'm not sure what that means. Reason I'm asking is cause I only brought a 70 m rope and I'd like to try to do the whole thing. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me a bit more about the walk off. Thanks! 

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

Haven't done it and it would be a pain in the ass (well very long at least). But go to the top and then go climbers left and keep going down and left as you go around the wall. When you drive up you will see it, the way the rock comes out of the ground it should be obvious. It may be quite the bush wack. The rap is good and easy, the last pitch is kinda eh...my girlfriend really liked it but I though the lead was not as good. If you skip the last pitch you don't needs another rope (I forgot about the downclimb on the 1st pitch, so you might want one there). 

Highly recommend going right on the roof and running it out (skip the pitch 2 belay). It is fun and easy face climbing to go that way. 

This pic shows it  pretty good. Just keep going left. Link

Brian Pringle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 10

With a 70m you can walk over to D4 and rap easily.  Carter's first pitch is a 40m-ish slab, two ropes (or a single 80m) required unless you're comfortable down climbing semi-secure 5.6.  Hope that helps.  Also, running a lap on D4 same day as Carter makes for a great outing.  Have fun and all the best!

John Ryan · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 170

I have done the walk off when storms were threatening. The gulley is climber's left of Davis Face. Very easy to find and to follow and I didn't see anywhere that cliffed out. There's no trail and lots of dead fall. No trail at bottom of the gulley so it's a bush whack back to the base or your car. It kinda sucked but was manageable. Also, almost every tree in the gulley had been struck by lightening so it's probably not the best option in a storm. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Descent from Carter Classic on the Davis Face "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started