Mountain Project Logo

Stuck cam on High E

Original Post
Kelli Ann · · Syracuse, NY · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

Left a stuck .3 just after the crux after getting be-nighted on High E. Went to get it the next morning and it wasn't there. Please let me know if you retrieved it !

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616

Booty

These rules (like any rules) are not definitive, but can serve as a good guide:

http://www.climberism.com/to-be-or-not-to-be-the-rules-of-climbing-booty/

#1 If you leave it for any reason other than assisting in a rescue it is booty as soon as you leave the parking lot unless you make it known that you will be back the next day to retrieve it.
#2 if you plan on getting it the next day BE THERE BY 6:00AM! Don’t show up at 4:00pm and start crying when you can’t find your shwagg.
#3 If it takes full screws and you don’t know how to make a thread STFU and stop your whining
#4 Just because it is late and you are tired is no excuse to start drinking and head home to your computer to beg us to go retrieve you shwag for you.
Hike your lazy ass back up that trail and find you own lost tool or stop whining and write it off as lost.

Rules for finders.
#1 Stuff you find in the parking lot is Not booty. It’s lost and found material.
#2 Any and All gear that is left or misplaced in the course of a rescue including the victims gear is NOT booty and will be collected and returned to rightful owners.
#3 any gear that is abandoned or lost due to incompetence, lack of skill, sack or sheer laziness is booty as soon as the former owners of that gear have left the cliff and given up attempts to retrieve that gear. Exceptions would be when the spanked party announces intention to resume recovery process at first light the following day.
#4 Finders of booty may offer to return said booty. The losing party loses face if they accept the return of their gear.

Rules for the losers
#1 Asking for your gear back is bad form and shows a lack of self respect.
#2 If the finder of your shwag offers to return it you may accept but if you do you will lose face. Buying them a six pack or case will help but in some cases still not completely erase the honor debt. If they offer , you refuse and they offer again and you accept it’s much better but you should still buy them a drink and you still lost face just not as much face.
#3 The ONLY way to escape your embarrassing loss of gear without losing face is to not accept its return . A simple ” thanks for offering but you guys earned it” should give you a clean slate 99.9% of the time.

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

Kelli did more than most-- tried to go back for the cam in the morning. Unfortunately the cam was on one of the most popular routes in the USA so it was gone. I hope you get it back!

Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 192

Kelli, try calling Rock and Snow. If someone nice found the cam, they may have left it there.

Gummy F · · Akron, OH · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 2,530
Kevin Heckeler wrote:

Booty

These rules (like any rules) are not definitive, but can serve as a good guide:

http://www.climberism.com/to-be-or-not-to-be-the-rules-of-climbing-booty/

This is arguably the best thing I have ever seen. 

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Its tough at the gunks or any super busy venue.  Its not booty untill you give up on trying to recover it. going back in the morning is totally legit.  Bummer that you did not get a 2nd chance at it...  

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Done!  Belongs to someone new!

RichBeBe · · New York City, NY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1

My question is how do you get be-nighted on High E or anywhere in the Gunks? Then the cam is gone in the morning? If you slept on the GT ledge or the top, did a party climb it and snag the cam before you woke? 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
RichBeBe wrote:

My question is how do you get be-nighted on High E or anywhere in the Gunks? Then the cam is gone in the morning? If you slept on the GT ledge or the top, did a party climb it and snag the cam before you woke? 

It was a planned nighttime ascent.  Conditions at that time were not conducive to a long-term extraction effort.  And yes, some local apparently snagged it at first light.

HBTHREE · · ma · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 30

I wouldn't call that booty, i'd call taking that cam lame. Hope the night wasn't too bad

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616
Gunkiemike wrote:

It was a planned nighttime ascent.  Conditions at that time were not conducive to a long-term extraction effort.  And yes, some local apparently snagged it at first light.

Isn't the preserve closed after dark?

RichBeBe · · New York City, NY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1
Gunkiemike wrote:

I was reading the OP's post as benighted, as in got in too deep and made the safe decision to sleep on the cliff versus rapping down or topping out. Sounds like the cam got benighted not the OP.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Stuck cam on High E"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started