Mountain Project Logo

Spiritual effects of climbing?

Original Post
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Yes, a troll.  Yes, board at work.  Yes, a can of worms.  That out of the way...

He being a person with a profound ability to exercise faith, I found it interested to learn that Alex is vehemently atheist.  I respect that as I do everyone's beliefs.  I just find it interesting that while being able to experience so many beautiful places of the world that most people will never get see, this doesn't inspire in some people, like Alex, an idea that there might be, just maybe, some, let's say, non-coincidence in the organization of our world.  Self-organization, from a big bang, if I understand correctly, is the prevailing scientific theory.  What do you think?  Do your outdoor adventures build or diminish any faith you might have in creationism?  By the way, I personally don't think that the reality of evolutionary processes has to discount the possibility of a creator.  I've always felt that was a false dilemma.

WHAM . · · Utah · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 1

I find that most of the beauty I experience in nature is a by-product of its pure and unadulterated disorder.

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

Oh god.

Its Isaac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Alex? I assume that's a misspelling of Aleks, as in Zebastian. The only faith I figure a guy like Aleks needs is the faith that the rock won't crumble to dust when he applies his meaty-necked strength to it

Aleks really likes fish heads.  Mmmmm, fish heads.

normajean · · Reading, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 110

Most people, most of the time, look for the evidence to confirm, rather than disconfirm, their existing beliefs. Seems like, where this topic is concerned, you and Alex may be doing just that. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Spencer Parkin wrote:

Yes, board at work.  

And "baby on board."

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225

Being in the mountains reinforces the belief tht I have no fucking idea what to believe. There could just as easily be a sausage monster in the sky as there could be absolutely nothing at all. If you see it to be divine creation, then so be it. I see it for what it is: a series of geological processes over a time span that humans can't even begin to mentally comprehend. It is what it is.

David Deville · · Fayetteville, AR · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 90

I think his atheism could have something to do with his intelligence and tolerance for fear. Religion/spirituality can be a panacea for a fear of death, failure, purpose etc... Without much fear of these, there isn't much that religion has to offer you. Now, logical thinking and critical reasoning leading one to atheism is a huge philosophical rabbit hole that I'm not going down, but it's a documented phenomenon that atheists tend to be better educated than the bible thumpers.  

Although, "Jesus, take the gear" would make a good route name.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

When looking at nature without actual science taking precedence you will just have confirmation bias, nature is merely a mirror that reflects your mind and feelings, you see this in mountain writing everywhere.

When i go out climbing i see only what i'm there for, lines.

Edit: To sort of answer your question, creationism is laughable for most of the world and there are a hell of allot of people playing in the mountains. Your question assumes you are talking to a creationist, statistically you aren't.

I solo allot, often fairly hard serious stuff (5.11 multipitch) my belief or lack thereof has not shifted in the slightest.

I feel like this thread belongs on supertopo.

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415

"there are no atheists on free solos" 

"there are no atheists in fox holes"

Sure. 

There is no god(s). Plan accordingly. 

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757

While I make my decisions based on fact, not faith, I do sometimes have a "spiritual" feeling when in the mountains, especially in the winter when everything snow covered.  I don't try to figure out why, just enjoy it.

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 525

A sexism thread and a religion thread both in one day?  Oh boy.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Matt N wrote:

"there are no atheists on free solos" 

"there are no atheists in fox holes"

Sure. 

There is no god(s). Plan accordingly. 

Not argue but......if you climb multi pitch long enough or do walls sooner or later you'll end up praying. Plan accordingly........ ;)

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
John Barritt wrote:

Not argue but......if you climb multi pitch long enough or do walls sooner or later you'll end up praying. Plan accordingly........ ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWhmOwGqcMQ&t=3m22s

David Kerkeslager wrote:

[movie]

Wow!!!  I have to see that movie!  Going lower into the Crevasse!  That takes some serious courage!  I always imagined crevasses to be bottomless pits!

I've often struggled to understand why the need to believe first without evidence, and act on that belief, is an important principle.  I really don't know.  But what I've been taught is that a witness of certain things cannot come until after the trial of your faith.

David Deville · · Fayetteville, AR · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 90
Spencer Parkin wrote:

But what I've been taught is that a witness of certain things cannot come until after the trial of your faith.

Is this why Jesus periodically shows up on stuff like toast and moldy towels?

Matt N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 415
Spencer Parkin wrote:

I've often struggled to understand why the need to believe first without evidence, and act on that belief, is an important principle.  I really don't know.  But what I've been taught is that a witness of certain things cannot come until after the trial of your faith.

As someone capable of critical thinking, doesn't that come across as very convenient to you?

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

If we're talking about Honnold, I'm not surprised to hear he is a staunch atheist.  His profound "cut and dry" mentality does not allow for anything other than logical, grounded, non-complicated reasoning.  

Roamin' Buffalo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 50

String theory, man. It all makes sense. The universe is more astonishing and complex than a needy, vainglorious sky father could ever take credit for.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Spiritual effects of climbing?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started