Mountain Project Logo

Am I mad/stupid for wanting to climb something big in RR in July?

Original Post
Barnaby Calman · · London · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 30

When I climbed Tunnel Vision last year I was in the shade all day - if you got the timing right you could walk in at 5 ish, hang out at the base of the crag for a coupla hours then climb in the shade. Anything else like that? I'm in Vegas for work in July and I'd love to climb something big if there was something do-able. Or am I flogging a dead horse here? 

Glass Tupperware · · Atlanta · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 45

I've climbed Frogland in July. Just make sure to bring plenty of water.

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

Icebox Canyon?

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

looking at your page it shows you've done "great red book".....if you led that you, you might look at dark shadows(5.8), most peeps only do the first 4p which are the ones in the shade

BoulderCharles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 95

Crimson Chysalis is north facing and likely in the shade in the summer (I climbed it in early May and was in the shade all day). You may want to double-check with a local, though.

Darren S · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 3,388
Ryan Hill · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 30

I've done some of my favorite routes in RR in July and August.  Going up Crimson Chrysalis in shorts and a t-shirt is pretty fantastic, particularly after bailing off it in the cold in April.  Black Velvet is another spot I've climbed in the hotter months and Icebox Canyon gets shade most of the year.  

As you said, hiking in early and waiting out the heat of the day can be key to not killing yourself in the heat.  Seriously, the heat can kill out there and dehydration is a very serious issue when spending all day outside in the desert.  Be smart and prepare accordingly.  FYI, some of the canyons have swimming holes, which can make for an amazing experience in the summer.  Granted, they can be tough to find and aren't always regular.  

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

A question and a comment: 

1) What's "big"....

2) Don't forget about Mt Charleston.  3,000 - 4,000 higher and MUCH cooler. Yes, it's limestone not sandstone, but there's some good climbs up there, especially if it's REALLY hot down a RR's. 

cassondra l · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 335

I have climbed in Red Rock during the summer every year for the last several years. It is nice and uncrowded then. I am, however strategically selective about where and when I climb, and take a chunk of ice with which to cool myself while hiking accross the desert to get to the shade of the canyons.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

No, you'll just have to be picky, as mentioned prior.  I've done longer routes there in June/July and had a great time.  Get the hike in ASAP before it gets hot, then climb in the shade.  CC is good, and then there's Ginger Cracks and the other stuff over there if you want to do 2 routes back to back to make for a longer day.  Just pretend that they are stacked up and it feels like a long climb that way.
Icebox is cooler, yeah, and Lotta Balls Wall is cool too, if memory serves, but there is nothing 'long' there, per se.
Black Velvet Canyon has some options, but better than any particular ones of these is the suggestion to hit a few of them back to back again, choosing the aspect to the sun to be sure to stay out of it, and enchaining several 4 pitch routes to make a long day of it.

thanks for the advice! so, I'm not all that mad. that's good to know. Super psyched to do CC... I like the idea of doing a bunch of shorter things too, had a really great day last October at Willow Spring. Will investigate Icebox. As I remember the parking for Black Velvet/Mud Springs is a bit gnarly to get to in a little rental car... 

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

One of the nice things about Black Velvet Canyon is that it is not 'inside' the park and thus, you can get there and start whenever you like.  That means you are to the base and can take your packs off before things heat up.

Guy H. · · Fort Collins CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 8,318

I climbed Risky Business when it was 105 in Vegas.  It wasn't too bad.  Dark shadows would be fine.  CC is a good suggestion.

Bruce Lacroix · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,570

Take a look at Community Pillar. If you liked Tunnel Vision, you'll like Community Pillar. I've climbed it in July. We were in the shade all day, except for the approach and descent. One of my favorite climbs, very unique.

rpc · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 775

"If you liked Tunnel Vision, you'll like Community Pillar"

...a bit like saying that if you enjoyed having your ears pierced, you'll probably love having your privates as well...sorry - couldn't help myself :)   It's  great classic route but if you're a big boy like me that first pitch is something else...

Also have done CC in July, Resolution in June and probably other stuff in August.  As others said, the place is amazingly quiet in the summer and seemed climbable.

Community Pillar sounds twisted. Just my cup of tea. And I don't have pierced privates.

rpc · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 775

That first pitch opener was a very memorable 90 minutes of my life...

I'm 5.8 and 65kg so squeezes aren't much of a problem although I realise these are probably famous last words.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Am I mad/stupid for wanting to climb something…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started