Mountain Project Logo

Weekend Whipper: Trad at RRG

Original Post
Gavin Towey · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

http://www.rockandice.com/weekend-whipper-video/roadside-attraction-red-river-gorge-trad-fall

Holy cow this was hard to watch this guy trying to layback what looks to be a really solid crack.  For pete's sake man, throw a hand or foot jam in there!   Also, is it just me or would anyone else *not* be smiling after falling that far, getting flipped upside down, and stopping only a few feet off the deck?

Maybe I'm just a wuss and an Internet tough-guy though ...

Cory Tallman · · San Tan Valley, Arizona · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 135

I knew there'd be a thread on this video already. Haha

Still waiting to see the rack go up in the for sale section. Only two pieces ever placed, slings come pre-knotted.

brian burke · · mammoth lakes, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 165

that is really really difficult to watch...

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

WW is starting to resemble Jackass.  That crack, especially the bottom, has some of the most bomber foot and hand jams on the planet.  Perfect #2 kicked back a bit on a slab...no excuse to lie back.  Guy is lucky he walked away from that one.

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

I get that everyone was inexperienced at one point but I'm glad I was never that dumb and that inexperienced at the same time. 

Nick Votto · · CO, CT, IT · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

This is truly painful to watch, wtf....between the El Cap sized rack, complete fumbling on straightforward placements, laybacking, etc......people get your shit together and learn the ropes, or hire a guide!!  Good thing he had the "mental piece"

Marathon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 275

Trad is Rad!

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

Haters gonna hate. This guys is out there doing the things he loves to do, what a life!

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

Haters gonna hate. This guys is out there doing the things he loves to do, what a life!

What a way to end one's life, in a preventable accident with 1 minute of hand jam teaching.

Cameron Saul · · San Francisco · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 10

It seemed like he decided he was going to fall.  He had a #3 that would have fit right below his hands.  If he was gripped, why not just plug that thing?  I dunno - I'd call bs on the video if not for the staggering stupidity that would imply.  

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

What the hell was the knotted sling thing???

pkeds · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

I don't always layback a bomber handcrack but when I do...

Maybe he needed to eat more fish heads or cheese steaks to achieve the glorious flash.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Dude, I don't care how new you are, why extend your first piece so it hangs just above the ground?  And the knotted slings???   Also, to both of them, belayer included (although his verbal advice was spot-on mostly), it's not funny and does not need a high-five.  You can die on falls like that.

When he ran it out above that useless first piece, I was so nervous!

Sam Sala · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 82

I was bumping around on the book of faces and saw a post his wife made...something to the effect of "Mark's video made it into Weekend Whipper!"

Lady, this shit was not an audition, and you should not be psyched your hubby made the cut with this one.

Michael Wolff · · Doylestown, PA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

I'm just happy he was on a grigri given the brake hand positioning. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Sam Sala wrote:

I was bumping around on the book of faces and saw a post his wife made...something to the effect of "Mark's video made it into Weekend Whipper!"

Lady, this shit was not an audition, and you should not be psyched your hubby made the cut with this one.

Yeah, that's about as prestigious as, "My Hubby's arrest made it into a Cops episode!", or, "Our family's gonna be featured on Jerry Springer!"

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

Supposedly  (friend of a friend comment) this guy had climbed the route using the crack properly once or twice already, and was trying to see if he could layback it.

But yeah, wouldn't want to make it into a Weekend Whipper myself, certainly not with a dizzy go-pro video (no danger there, don't own one) of myself being stupid

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

I couldn't decide which of you to quote (pick on) in reply.

Many of you are capable of more than just "wow this was awful" ditto, ditto,ditto.

This sort of thing is fine. I get it. But it is very discouraging if, like me, you are the newer, less experienced climber.

On the other thread is some actual, good advice. Knotted slings? I've seen that a lot. Someone on the other thread showed a pic of a daisy chained sling on a locker. Obvious, but not if you have never seen it.

Rant over. Return to your regular programming.

Best, OLH

By the way. Yes, you might find yourself smiling if you are part of a near decking. I did. It's relief that the climber isn't splatted and you are relatively unbloodied.

Peter BrownWhale · · Randallstown, MD · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 21
Michael89 wrote:

I'm just happy he was on a grigri given the brake hand positioning. 

It's a Megajul but your point is still valid, with an atc it wouldn't have ended as well

Joe Crawford · · Truckee, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 105

Laybacking: the technique of no technique.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

They call me B-Rad

'Cause I'm gonna be Supa-Trad

But homies dis it wut I found

If ur a noobie-googlin'

You can end up on the ground....

Bustin' Times

On all deese Climbs

Pluggin' Cams

Dis is what I am!

Supa-Trad! ! Be Rad! SO BAD. Supa-Trad!

Will they hold?

Dunno, I'm goin' Cold.

Can't feel my leg

ain't it all up in my head?

G-Pro Whipper

Made the Weekend Highlights

Saved from the Chop

Like a Deer in the headlights

MP Users

Thinkin' it is funny

Facebook Likes

getting counted by my honey

Wait 'til she finds out

There ain't no insurance money

Supa-Trad! Be Rad! SO-BAD. Supa-Trad!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Weekend Whipper: Trad at RRG"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started