Mountain Project Logo

Looking for Eastside offwidth

Original Post
Acmesalute76 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 71

Aspiring groveler looking for lines. I know about Pratt's but I'm not sure I have the gear for it. Anything near Mammoth or Bishop or even Tuolomne if it ever opens would be sweet. Or if anyone wants to partner up for some thrutching I'm down. 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392

Pratts doesn't really climb like an offwidth anyways.....unless you really want it to.

There is a hard and scary offwidth next to the CreamHorn (not sure what it is named in the book) at the entrance to the ice caves in the sads. There is also a cool tall and easy one to the left of Leaving for Constantinople in the happys. 

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

I have heard that Pratts can be done without large gear.  Small cams go in cracks on the left wall and chocks can be slung. 

I've heard varying opinions on Pratts, based on, from what I can tell, people's comfort level with runouts. 

Isnt V8 thin hands? Gong show looks super burly and I'd love to get on it when I'm ready for it (which is not now). 

DennisL · · Bishop, CA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 75

Pratt's is run out regardless of what cams you bring - I've climbed it with a 6 and with nothing larger than a 3.  Maybe big bros could help?  It's a low-angle squeeze chimney, though, so at once grovely and pretty secure.  Easy for west coast 5.9 OW maybe?

V8 at Cardinal Pinnacle is thin hands and smaller at the beginning, but fists up top.  You certainly don't need larger than a 4, and you can easily do without that.

The tablelands do indeed have a lot of offwidths (definitely that one near the Ice Caves, but also lots more - just walk around!), but it's also an oven right now.

The gorge is also pretty hot right now, but has some options if you poke around the guidebook.  "Too Proud to Ignore" has an OW section.  OW lines in the gorge don't get much attention, so beware ancient anchors!

The Polish Route on the Hulk may hold a lot of OW for you, depending on body size.

Did Pratt's this weekend and it beat me up...need more practice! Any other note worthy routes around here? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Looking for Eastside offwidth "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started