Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite Camping on July 4th weekend - are we screwed or what?

Original Post
BryanOC · · All over · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Hello All,

My friends and I are planning a July 4th trip to Yosemite for camping and climbing.  Seems everyone is talking about the BLM camping on HWY 120 on the west side of the park.  On a busy holiday weekend will we be able to find a spot here?  And does anyone have GPS coordinates on this location?  

Recrecation.gov and the BLM websites aren't the easiest things to navigate!  

We also have a dog with us, hope that the pup is allowed as well! 

Thanks in advance! 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Recreation.gov isn't too hard to navigate. There are several campgrounds in the Valley (North Pines, Upper Pines, etc.). The trick is to check back daily, or more often, as there are cancellations which result in openings.

Read the NPS website for restrictions for dogs.

Marcelo F · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Yosemite is surrounded by National Forest land where dispersed camping is allowed (with some exceptions). There is a dirt road a couple of minutes west of the 120 entrance where I drive up a little ways and pull over to camp. No services, no water nearby, and a bit of a drive into the Valley the next day, but it's free and always available. Others will probably chime in with better options.

Cheers!

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

Don't bring a dog to Yosemite. They are not permitted on any hiking trails, you won't be able to do any hiking or climbing -- 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
BryanOC wrote:

Hello All,

My friends and I are planning a July 4th trip to Yosemite for camping and climbing.  Seems everyone is talking about the BLM camping on HWY 120 on the west side of the park.  On a busy holiday weekend will we be able to find a spot here?  And does anyone have GPS coordinates on this location?  

Recrecation.gov and the BLM websites aren't the easiest things to navigate!  

We also have a dog with us, hope that the pup is allowed as well! 

Thanks in advance! 

Your dog will  have a miserable time:

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/pets.htm

No, you're not going to be able to bring him/her to the crags. Or on the trails. Or in some of the campgrounds. Or in a lot of other places. And pets and bears do not mix well, with the pet usually on the bad end  of the deal.

Also be prepared for an LA style traffic jam, unless you drive in pre-dawn and depart after dark

Marcelo F · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Oh, yea. The dog thing.

Like other people said, your dog will hate it. Dogs are only allowed on paved trails, and there aren't many of those (especially leading to climbing), so it will most likely have to stay at camp or in the car. Leave it at home.

Cheers!

C Brooks wrote:

Also be prepared for an LA style traffic jam, unless you drive in pre-dawn and depart after dark

Last year,  Saturday May 7, beautiful spring day. At 1:30p it took almost 2 hrs to drive from the Glacier Point road/Hwy 41 intersection to El Cap meadow.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Bryan,

You might want to reconsider going to Yosemite valley on a holiday. It will be a nightmare of congestion.

Thanks guys for the info and suggestions... esp on the dog thing....  

Looking for options right now.... possible that we may end up going to Tahoe, but pretty much any prime spot in CA is going to be a cluster it seems.....

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567

What are you trying to do in tahoe? lots of options. 

If they open the Road to Courtright Reservoir - lots of dog friendly climbing, no crowds, great climbing, and there is a new guidebook!

Marcelo F wrote:

Oh, yea. The dog thing.

Like other people said, your dog will hate it. Dogs are only allowed on paved trails, and there aren't many of those (especially leading to climbing), so it will most likely have to stay at camp or in the car. Leave it at home.

You cannot leave a leashed pet unattended, and they're not allowed to be off-leash. IOW, someone would have to stay with the dog.

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

Stay away of the Valley on a holiday weekend!!! Traffic is terrible people everywhere. I went once and never will return it was not fun.. Head to the Leap, Donner, or maybe a crag on the east side somewhere. Just my 2 cents 

Danny Herrera wrote:

What are you trying to do in tahoe? lots of options. 

Was thinking of lovers leap area.  I've never been and they have some nice long, multi's out there.

Alexander Blum · · Livermore, CA · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 143

multipitch + dog == you're not going to get a positive response to that idea here

(it's a bad idea)

especially at many of the crags around tahoe, unless your dog plays well with rattlesnakes when unattended on the ground

apologies if i misinterpreted and the dog will always be with a human

Tony L · · San Carlos · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 832

Check out Sonora Pass. Dog friendly. No crowds.

It's too hot to enjoy Yosemite anyway. Very doggo unfriendly in just about every aspect. 

Bryan H · · Redwood CIty, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 77

Leave the dog at home for any climbing outing! Nobody wants to listen to a whining barking dog tied to a tree shitting itself out of frustration and fear. 

Mateo San Pedro · · OR · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 266
Bryan Hains wrote:

Leave the dog at home for any climbing outing! Nobody wants to listen to a whining barking dog tied to a tree shitting itself out of frustration and fear. 

You need to hang out with cooler dogs.

Tim Opsahl · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Valley is still a fun place on holiday weekends, so long as you're willing to drive through the gates at 6:30AM (know where you'll want to park) and make dinner on the floor so you're not needing to be out before 8:30-9PM. 98% of traffic is on the floor and by the big waterfalls, everywhere else remains pretty heavenly as per usual in the Valley. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Yosemite Camping on July 4th weekend - are we s…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started