Mountain Project Logo

Black Ice Couloir, Grand Teton

Original Post
Kyle Walter · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Has anyone climbed this recently? I know there was a large snow event last, but with this warm weather the past few days I was hoping there'd be a good freeze/thaw cycle. Is this a reasonable time of year to climb it?

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 121

I haven't been up there in a few weeks but with the amount and consistency of snow the Tetons had this past winter I would guess the couloirs are all still mostly firm snow climbs.  

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

I was up in the park yesterday. There was soft ice on the lower Exuim. I did not get a good look into the BIC when I was coming off the OS but would assume it's in decent shape. It seams like the black ice is very condition dependent and could be good to climb in almost any month with the right weather. A few pics of the current snowpack..

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177

I spoke with a JLR on Saturday. They don't really have any up to date information on the V Traverse, or on the conditions of the route. They are however, sending a few rangers up to the Lower Saddle Tuesday-Thursday, and they have short haul training on the lower saddle Wednesday so the might find time to venture over to the dark side of the Grand. The ranger I spoke with said to look for a blog update on Thursday or Friday, but nothing was for sure. 

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177

My friend and I gave it a go over the weekend but bailed. Way too warm right now. I would wait again for a moisture event followed by several days of cooler temperatures. 

Michael Catlett · · Middleburg, VA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 175

Any more action and conditions report on the BIC and or the Enclosure?

JonW · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

I saw a post on the BIC on the climbing blog yesterday. Didn't sound great. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Black Ice Couloir, Grand Teton"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started