Mountain Project Logo

WTB: your campsite reservation in the Gunks this Saturday (6/24)

Original Post
Mark Berenblum · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105

I'm hoping to spend the weekend up in the Gunks and it looks like sites are all booked on Saturday (of course). If you happen to have a reservation but don't plan to go, I'd love to buy your reservation off of you. Not sure how I feel about paying a mark-up since I don't want to encourage campsite scalping, but I'd be happy to buy you a drink or several. Thanks!

Ben Hoste · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 859

I've been told by others that there are always some sites reserved for walk ins, specifically handicap sites, that if no one handicap reserves you can get day of. 

Also, if it's full, there are free, dispersed camping sites not to far away (you would need a car). The last time I was at the AAC campground I thought I saw some maps at the office that I assume the caretaker gives away to people when the all the sites are full or if they are looking for a free option. 

Thanks, Ben. I know about the walk-ins, but I'm also in Brooklyn and have a bad habit of waking up too late to make it up there early so I'd assume the sites would all be gone. If I can't find anything to reserve, though, I'll go that route and at worst I'll end up in one of the state parks farther away.

Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

State park is the way to go. As much as I love the new campground, it adds up when you go every other weekend. Just remember to pack it out when you leave. And don't make a toilet paper garden, bury that crap. 

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
Gabe Cisneros wrote:

State park is the way to go. As much as I love the new campground, it adds up when you go every other weekend. Just remember to pack it out when you leave. And don't make a toilet paper garden, bury that crap. 

Pack that crap out too.  Though my preference is to just burn it. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Allen Sanderson wrote:

Which, you may recall, started a fire in Maple Canyon a few years ago. And if it's well used, it's not going to burn all that well or completely.

Gabe Cisneros · · Baltimore, md · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15
Allen Sanderson wrote:

Really I'm just referring to the actual shit itself. I know where I like to camp over there and I'd hate to see a landmine soaking up the sun.

Wherever I end up going, I promise to follow the standard Leave-No-Trace principles and not cause a forest fire.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "WTB: your campsite reservation in the Gunks thi…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started