Mountain Project Logo

11 DAY CLIMBING TRIP IN JULY

CJ K · · Northern, NM · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 280

Tristan... I would second or third the black canyon.

Also, something that may be even closer to you is the Sandias in New Mexico. https://www.mountainproject.com/v/sandia-mountains/105788177 Although down in ABQ it may be hot at that time it is actually very pleasant up in the Sandias. It's an alpine environment overlooking a major city. It may even be an option for you to stop by there for a couple days on the way out of OK or on the way back to OK. 

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
John Ryan wrote:

Just FYI take it from a transplanted southerner that "hot" to a Coloradan is anything in the sun and temperatures greater than 50 degrees. 

Haha. To me that sounds like just barely warm enough to climb. 70s or 80s are pretty much perfect, 90s are tolerable, and anything under 60 is cold weather climbing.

stephen arsenault · · Wolfeboro, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 66
LLubchenco · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 25

The winds or the black would be great options in my opinion. Also, while you're at it, independence pass offers some amazing cragging and multi pitch in an alpine setting. Lots of options, and you're a couple hours from the black, and a few hours from Rocky Mountain national park! Enjoy your trip, L

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "11 DAY CLIMBING TRIP IN JULY"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started