Mountain Project Logo

Preferred Wood Processing Tool?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Ted-  

I own both brands of tools, not those particular models though, and either would be fine.  

Estwing is heavier, definitely sexier, and made in the US.

Halljt3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 5
Ted Pinson wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards.  It will at least annoy the bear, or I could use it to injure my partner so that he is slower and the bear goes for him.  Oh...and the wood thing.  It wouldn't be a MP thread if it didn't digress.  I probably opened Pandora's box by even hinting at collecting wood from the site...in all honesty what I would (probably) mainly use it for is paring down logs that I buy, but I like to leave my options open should I decide to do something in the backcountry.

So it seems like a lot of people trust Gerber...their 14" hatchet is on sale for $35 on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KCY7W1O/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1497793016&sr=1-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hatchet&dpPl=1&dpID=3178VKDW0nL&ref=plSrch

There's also an Estwing for the same price, which is much sexier:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BNQR4SG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497793016&sr=1-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=hatchet&dpPl=1&dpID=41pXINwcV-L&ref=plSrch

Thoughts between the two?

Out of those two options, I would recommend the Estwing.  However, I highly recommend taking a look at the Husqvarna Traditional Axe.  It is quite comparable to the Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe, but slightly less refined and less costly. With a little bit of work, you'll have an excellent cutting tool.  Do a little research.  I don't think you will be disappointed. http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/axes/traditional-multi-purpose-axe/576926202/

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Chainsaw. When possible.

Friskars X11 splitting axe or more compact Friskars blah-blah-blah hatchet.

Cheap pocket chainsaw (hands driven).

Peter M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 10
Jon H wrote:

This ^^^ A++ 

my first love is survival skills, bushcraft, and primitive wilderness living skills. You should always have a morakniv in a pack. And a gransfors bruks axe is the axe to have. I take a GFB small forest axe in a pack, if I'm canoeing or staying in cold weather like the notes Forrest in winter then I have a longer axe which is 25" handle and that's the Scandinavian Forrest axe. And if you get a bahco Laplander for cutting up branches then you will look like the kind of woodsman who knows the business haha.

Learn how to properly swing a hatchet and a axe. If you have a hatchet please use it kneeling down so if your swing misses it will hit the ground and not your shin. Always always pay attention to where your axe will go if the hit reflects and bounces off. You can die pretty easily in the bush from a axe injury.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Hults bruk Kisa axe hand forged Swedish made axe that does not break the bank .  This is an awesome small axe that works well as a hatchet too  better quality and holds an edge amazingly well 

Jeff Hildebrand · · Pueblo, CO · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Look at a rigging ax. I framed houses for years with one. Very good woodsman tool, as well. It is the first tool I bought on my own, still have it 32 years later. 

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

my preferred way is the  KISS method which involves burning larger pieces of wood in half and requires no shopping or extra crap to bring.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

I love these threads............. Here's how you do it Ted. 

1. Bring enough pre-cut seasoned firewood for the size fire you desire for the weekend with you as most public camping areas will be picked clean and people with axes will have chopped, bludgeoned or torn off all limbs low enough to reach off all the nearby trees.
  2. When you establish your campsite walk into the woods a ways to find smaller dead wood, gather said smaller dead and dry wood off the ground.
  3. Place a back log into the fire ring and rake up a pile of dry leaves and dry grass and pile it next to the log.
  4. Pile the slightly larger dead wood on top of that starting with twigs and working your way up. 
  5. Light it........ if you can't get it going (unlikely, but possible) apply girl-scout-juice (gas or other combustible liquid) as needed.

Note, no axe hatchet or chainsaw is needed, no trees are cut down or harmed in the park, you will not have a smoky fire from burning green wood AND/OR the frustration of trying to light green wood, you won't tick off your neighbors (except for fire envy) by running power saws or smoking them out. You will save a ton of time and energy by not chopping a tree down. And most importantly you won't anger the Park authorities.

Scott Powers · · Concord NH · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

I personally prefer a small folding saw and a large knife like ESEE laser strike or ESEE 5.  A mora is also a good choice.  

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

The batterys fit in all the Ego tools, so you can electric power your string trimmer, hedge cutter, blower, lawnmore. This stuff is great. 

Firestone · · California · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 186

A good tip my brother once taught me was how to use a candle to start a fire. You can melt the base and stick it to a rock. Place the rock in the base of the fire and the wax from the lit candle will provide a good amount of burn time while you get smaller things to catch.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
bruno-cx wrote:
  1. Case of cold beer and or fifth of whiskey
  2. 4WD Pickup Truck with rebel flag attached
  3. Large Dead Tree  or multiple railroad ties
  4. 5 gallon can of gasoline 
  5. Chainsaw
  6. Logging Chain

Drag it down the down road and into your campsite. Saw as needed and ignite. Bonus points if it disturbs other campers, or attracts women. Negative points if it ends in multiple arrests or a forest fire.

I fixed it.......... ;)

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
T Roper wrote:
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

What are we ? still Paleo-   .    .     .   .   ya Neanderthal 

The second coming, I used the 1st version 

It allowed for a good time, 

not as overwhelmingly environmentally destructive as the  "BARRITT" method

https://www.amazon.com/BioLite-BL1-Campstove/dp/B019WDE9HU/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

I've said it before, I'll say again, J Barritt, I like the way you 'roll'

John Barritt wrote:

I fixed it.......... ;)

Oh, and I dislocated my shoulder using your cross training method. . .

Kyle Tarry wrote:

We're talking about a bunch of guys with disposable income camping in the lower 48 of the US on a rock climbing trip, the "survival" talk is ridiculous.  Unless you're going to carry the axe on route and cut your arm off Aaron Ralston style, there's no reason you need any silly "survival" equipment.  Just get in your car and drive back home to NYC or wherever you live.

All that being said, I have a fairly inexpensive 24" Gerber axe that works great for this kind of stuff.  Even if you bring firewood, it's nice to be able to chop stuff up to get the fire going, etc.

no one has ever been in a survival situation in the lower 48? it's you kind of people that are unprepared and put SAR in danger because we have to save you because "the 'survival' talk is ridiculous "

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,362
Kyle Tarry wrote:

Also, please give me a list of SAR scenarios for climbers where an axe or knife would have resolved the issue.

Just to play devils advocate:

There are many roads I have travelled in many places but for the sake of regionality in Mt. Hood Ntl Forest where a single fallen tree would really make your life suck and make the trip home considerably harder without any means to remove it. Not that this isn't something that couldn't be remedied with a VERY long walk but....ya know....self-sufficiency and all that. 

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86
Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

I have been using the folding Sven saw for twenty five years. Still sharp as the day I bought it. Light and strong and portable. I've used it for trimming limbs at home and dead and down all over the country. Highly recommend this. It comes in a fifteen and a twenty one inch blade. REI has them for (I think) $36-$39.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Preferred Wood Processing Tool?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started