Mountain Project Logo

Tent Repair

Original Post
Peter M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 10

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

They are hot taped on. My suggestion is just send it into BD and have them do the repair. It will come on back and ready to go.

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

What is hot tape?

I've been playing around with a roll of venture tape for joining things, been pretty happy with it but always interested in better ways of bonding materials

Thanks for the input, I haven't heard of hot tape. And I would like to do the repair myself because BD doesn't do tent repairs anymore I believe, they outsource it, but I'll call them

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203
George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 62

If for some reason you don't want to just have Black Diamond repair it, which sounds to me like the easiest option, perhaps Loon Wader Repair will help.  Its a substance used to repair leaks in flyfishing waders that melts plastic chemically, creating repairs as strong as the plastic fabric itself.  I had a Marmot shell jacket on which the pocket seam blew out.  Multiple attempts to melt the edge of the plastic patch back to the main body of the jacket did not hold.  Eventually, I ran a bead of Wader Repair along the entire edge of the blown out seam.  So far, 6 months later, its held up.  Less risk of melting/burning a hole through the base fabric too.

awesome video! and ill get a qoute tomorrow on the repair from BD. if its to pricey then i think ill try one of them wit the loon wader repair! see how it goes and holds, then maybe try the rest of them. Thanks guys!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Tent Repair"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started