Mountain Project Logo

New Wall in Bremerton, Wa

Original Post
Alex Hamilton · · Tacoma Wa · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Found a new outside wall off 3 in Bremerton, (end of 16)..Wa. Going around the turn by the bay you will see the cliff to your right if your heading South.  There is a road that will take you up to the wall.  It has already been routed, Just one route.   I'll be climbing it soon, has 2 sections.  Anyone know about this?

alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

Interesting. Would love to hear what you find out!

Ryan Mac · · Seattle · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 5

Following... 

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

Basalt or Sandstone?  Looks pretty solid.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10
Drederek wrote:

Basalt or Sandstone?  Looks pretty solid.

I've never climbed there but I grew up in Bremerton and geographically most likely basalt. The Seattle Fault travels through Gorst and the basalt south of the fault has been uplifted several kilometers. 

This is one of two fault zones that could unleash a devastating earthquake on Seattle. Did you hear that, newly arrived Seattlites? Yer gonna die! Maybe that will help the crowds at Index. 

Here is the Fault line in this area.  Maybe look as well in these areas to bolder
brian n · · Manchester, WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 87

This cliff is part of a old quarry. Stones from it were used in the construction of The University of Washington in Seattle.  It is private property and I've done some research into ownership. That info is below.  Also, I have the parcel map from Kitsap county, Googlemaps, and a combo overlay.  My intention was to contact them and inquire about access.  Being that the property is so highly visible I personally think climbing without permission would be bad. Just saying.  That being said, when I contact them I will post here with any info I have and if anybody else does so I would ask that they post what they have.

Regarding the map:  The property with the curved border is where the rock face is.  It looks like one would have to park at and cross the larger property to the south to gain access, thus I've included both here.  I also have this info which would help when contacting the owners.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=4.24.210

In WA property owners are immune from liability for certain activities blah, blah blah... But this (if they aren't aware) may help them feel more comfortable granting access.

I will try to contact them this week.

BTW: Does anyone know about the quality of rock at the cliff below the summit of Green Mountain?

smaller northern property
Taxpayer LAKEPOINTE PROPERTIES LLC
Account No4640-006-006-0009
Account ID1734581
Site AddressNO ADDRESS FOUND
Mail AddressPO BOX 82298 KENMORE WA 98028

larger southern property
Taxpayer KRM QUARRY LLC
Account No332401-2-004-2000
Account ID1170018
Site Address2800 STATE HWY 3 W BREMERTON WA 98312
Mail Address5902 W SHERMAN HEIGHTS RD BREMERTON WA 98312 4824

Caleb Mallory · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; PNW · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425

Ah, looks similar to the stuff on the east side of cougar mountain!

Wow, nice! Yeah it is visible from the road, but what would they say... Let us know and appreciate it 

alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

Awesome work Brian, would love to help out 

Alex Hamilton wrote:

, but what would they say...

UPDATE:

"Anyone on that property for any reason is breaking the law."

That is the owner's words.

Mind you, I have been preparing to talk to the property owner for some time, even before this thread started.  I've looked into the issue of climbing on private property, read tons of info on the Access Fund website, learned the state laws.  I even studied up on how to "cold call" someone tactfully.  

I had a 15 minute conversation with the owner.  From the sound of his voice he was elderly, but from the talk I could tell he had all of his faculties.  Early on in the talk he expressed the above sentiment.  I managed to convince him to listen to what I had to say to possibly alleviate his concerns.  I even shared some of the history of the property. I let him know that 40% of climbing areas are on private property, so this request isn't uncommon. I told him he is protected by the law. In the end his major "concern" is that he thinks private property is just that, private and no-one has the right to be on it.   He did also say that if he didn't respect what I do and how prepared I was he would have hung up after the first couple of minutes, but there is nothing I can say or do to change his mind.

He said the land is not for sale, which actually pre-empted my next salvo which was going to be trying to start a crowd funding campaign to buy it.  (probably a pipe dream anyway)

All that being said, I will say that the owner of the rock face does not live in the county.  I didn't even bother calling the other owner.  I know the other property owner has a quarry/reclaimation service up the hill on the other side of Sherman Heights Road and the access road from there was chained the last time I passed by.  Don't know how often they use or check the property near the rock face.  The only other way to access it would be to turn off of route 3 southbound into the ServePro parking lot which connects with the access road.  That is also private property and they would definitely see you going by.  I don't know if they have any kind of relationship with either owner or would care if someone is up there, but they present another possible barrier to access should one choose to go "guerilla" climbing.

Sorry for the bad news

Well that's sad news...  I wonder who originally put up that route.  I know it would be a good location to Buy and put up a inside/outside gym.  Plenty of land and area to develop!  I am interested to see what they do with it.  

Alex Hamilton wrote:

Plenty of land and area to develop!  I am interested to see what they do with it.  

What they did with it, is put it up for sale for $2,587,400 

https://www.johnlscott.com/search/listing/2589044

It looks like the lot doesn't include the entire cliff face, but the listing mentions a "sheer wall" on the south end.
Princess Puppy Lovr · · Rent-n, WA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 1,756

This area could really use a crag

Brian Burge · · Cát Bà, Hải Phòng, VN · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0

So has anyone actually climbed the existing route? I’m thinking of having a look next time the weather clears.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "New Wall in Bremerton, Wa "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started