Mountain Project Logo

Glacier Gorge and Chiefshead Conditions

Original Post
Jordan Moore · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 60

I'm considering a climb up Birds of Fire on Chiefshead this Sunday. Has anyone been up there recently that can provide a conditions report?

It's a big smooth face that would be unclimbable if it's dripping with water. That seems likely this time of the year. 

Post holing up to Black Lake is a real pain. What are the snow conditions like?

If Chiefshead is a no go, Spear Me the Details would be the next option. Has anyone been on Spearhead lately?

Thanks for the help!

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

I seriously doubt Birds of Fire would be a fun climb this weekend. The spearhead is pretty south facing so I'm sure it'd be fine. 

Do you say that because of wet rock or temperatures?

Andy Hansen · · Longmont, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 3,296

Chiefshead is slow to dry out and has a northerly aspect. Could be OK but that's a long walk to get skunked out on. South Face of Arrowhead and the East Face of Spearhead are certainly more sure fire than Chiefshead. You'll also get a look at the conditions on Chiefshead so you'll know for sure... for next time!

WadeM · · Auburn, Ca · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 481

I had to wait until late July last year for Birds of Fire.  Probably crying right now with water streaks. This weekend last year I climbed All Two Obvious and Spear Me the Details on Spearhead and it was bone dry.

Thanks Wade!

We're looking at Spearhead now,  for the higher likelihood of being dry. But the downclimb looks like it's full of snow. Anyone know if you can rap Spearhead from the summit? We'll have two ropes available. One party on Spear Me the Details and another party on All Two Obvious.

WadeM · · Auburn, Ca · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 481

Start of Cowboys and Indians is still under snow! wow!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Glacier Gorge and Chiefshead Conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started