Mountain Project Logo

not-Honnold climbed El Cap

Original Post
nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

I already shared this on another climbing related site so sorry if you're seeing it twice. Anyways. I joined the conga line and climbed the nose over memorial day weekend. Actually wasn't that crowded aside from several NIAD parties, but they flew past without incident (pretty inspirational and made me jealous, they were hootin and hollerin and having a blast). My first big wall, and I believe first successful big wall for my partner.

Lots of stories as well that I'd like to write down at some point, but I like making videos. Plus the video is a much more effective tool for explaining what I did to my non-climbing friends who asked "oh how was your hiking trip?"

It's a handsome rock

The Badger, racked up and ready for pitch 0

Around Sickle Ledge

Chillin on top of the boot

Pancake Flake. My aspirations of freeing this pitch disappeared after like 10' of climbing when I realized I was shaking and pumped already. I quickly adjusted my goals and considered it a success to french free without resorting to the aid ladders.

Racked up for changing corners. I hate climbing with a huge rack, but at least you never run out of gear.

Sunrise on the summit

And finally back at the car

Thanks for reading

nate aka the wolverine hahaha

PS watch the video it's actually pretty fun

Wesley K · · Southern California · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 30

Great video Nate! The first scene is an instant classic, especially if you know the Badger. Congrats on topping it out! 

Wesley K wrote:

Great video Nate! The first scene is an instant classic, especially if you know the Badger. Congrats on topping it out! 

LOL and after that encouragement to hurry up, I flew up the pitch and found myself stuck behind those guys on the stovelegs, hanging at a terrible stance just below the belay for like half an hour waiting for them to get out of the way.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

"We're here at changing corners, a perfect #1/#2 Camalot crack that I'm stuck aiding because I'm too tired"

Loved the video, can't wait to climb this myself someday.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Great video. Now I want to climb with you guys. Since I got practically no pictures or footage on my climb of the nose I'll be sharing yours with my friends and family. 

David Kerkeslager wrote:

"We're here at changing corners, a perfect #1/#2 Camalot crack that I'm stuck aiding because I'm too tired"

Loved the video, can't wait to climb this myself someday.

I tried to free the sweet long 5.8(++) handcrack in the stovelegs. I really wanted to get it fully free, no pulling on gear or hanging. Seemed like an achievable goal haha. I ended up getting outrageously pumped by the top of the pitch but I still refused to hang or pull on gear. Well on the literal last move of the pitch I came loose and went for a 20 footer. I was so fried (mentally and physically) I could barely pull myself back to my high point and finish the pitch. After that I sorta came to terms with the fact that on a wall, even if I can or want to free something, it's sometimes going to be wiser in the long term go with whatever technique conserves energy.

Ryan Hamilton wrote:

Great video. Now I want to climb with you guys. Since I got practically no pictures or footage on my climb of the nose I'll be sharing yours with my friends and family. 

Haha thanks, please do!

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

Didn't take long for someone to beat Honnald's record

Quote of the day..."While I didn't think it would be that bad, there was no naked beta." 

Ken Graf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

NICE!

Billy Barghahn · · Salt, UT · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 45

So stoked you guys topped out, Nate! Trey and I were cheering for Wolverine and Badger to send, glad you kept pushing onward 

Did you use the #4 camalot that we sold Luis on top of El Cap Tower?? 

He wanted that cam so bad after being forced to run it out on the pitches after Dolt! Could have sold it to the poor guy for a couple hundred bucks haha

Billy Barghahn wrote:

So stoked you guys topped out, Nate! Trey and I were cheering for Wolverine and Badger to send, glad you kept pushing onward 

He wanted that cam so bad after being forced to run it out on the pitches after Dolt! Could have sold it to the poor guy for a couple hundred bucks haha

LOL! Hey Billy! Hahaha yes he was really worried about doing the rest of the wall without his other one. I think we placed yours once or twice so he was happy to have it. Hope you guys had fun with the rest of your time in the Valley :)

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
Billy Barghahn wrote:

Reminds me of when I set off to follow my partner on the Jardine traverse and directly below me (on that section you mention) was a very scared girl that was run out with her only #4 15 feet below her and her only pro was a tipped out #3. I felt really bad for her, but had no way to offer any help. I heard later that she got through that pitch OK. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "not-Honnold climbed El Cap"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started