Mountain Project Logo

Asshole

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
JustinMCawood Cawood · · Fort Bragg, NC · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 20

Thanks man. You screwed me. I appreciate you getting all that gear for free. Im now negative $213 in my paypal. I needed that money. But now its shipped. So enjoy your cash and climbing gear. Now i cant climb and now have another bill to pay. 

Its Isaac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

If it's in the mail, request a delivery intercept asap

Jordon · · Rochester, MN · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 233

This jerk off have an MP account?

Danomcq · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 95

I searched his email on face book

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

How exactly did he take your money AND your gear?

Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161
Ryan M Moore wrote:

How exactly did he take your money AND your gear?

I am curious too. I assume some sort of trade?

Parker H · · Indianapolis · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

Probably chargeback on his credit card or filed with PayPal.

Like the other guy said Intercept the package. Looks like he may be a college student. There are other things you can do. Call his parents, local PD or University.

Or just reassure yourself with the fact that the guy is clearly a turd... 

Allan Franklin · · NC · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

I think Paypal has protections for these sorts of things. You'll have to check their website but you'll likely be able to get your money back, or at least stop him from using PayPal again, if you show proof of delivery.

JustinMCawood Cawood · · Fort Bragg, NC · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 20

I messed up. Was in a hard spot and needed cash. So just sent him the request for 220 instead of doing the invoice and uploading the tracking number and such. Once i mailed it im assuming that he revoked the charge. 

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

He shouldn't be able to just unilaterally revoke the charge. He would file a dispute, and paypal would contact the seller (you) to resolve it - at that point you should have an opportunity to submit the receipt for shipping, tracking number, etc as evidence you shipped the items. He can't really claim his items never arrived moments after you shipped? Get in touch with paypal. In the meantime, I've never heard of this "intercept delivery" thing but if that's an option seems like it would solve the problem. 

Logan Peterson · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 186

Let us know how this works out. Would be good to know what one can do through PayPal. 

There was a proposal for an Unsavory Characters thread (can't bring myself to refer to it as a "sticky"). Anyone know if that got off the ground?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
Em Cos wrote:

I've never heard of this "intercept delivery" thing  

I hadn't either until it happened to me.  I bought a pair of shoes on MP, sent the money via Paypal, received a tracking number.  The next couple of days I watched the package come all the way to my town, got excited expecting delivery the following day. When they didn't show up, I checked the tracking again and the package was en route back across the country. My paypal was refunded.  I emailed the seller with a WTF message and he told me he had second thoughts about selling the shoes at that price and intercepted the package.

Ryan Bowen · · Bend, Or · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 85

This is why PayPal gifts are dangerous. You can send money via gift on credit card, dispute it, and get money back easily. PayPal has a strict set of rules regarding seller protection, and the two big ones include paying the fees, and only shipping to their PayPal listed address. If you don't do both of those, they will tell you to fuck right off. 

Almost happened to me selling a bike on pinkbike. 

fuzzy muzzle · · Seattle · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1
Jason Todd wrote:

I hadn't either until it happened to me.  I bought a pair of shoes on MP, sent the money via Paypal, received a tracking number.  The next couple of days I watched the package come all the way to my town, got excited expecting delivery the following day. When they didn't show up, I checked the tracking again and the package was en route back across the country. My paypal was refunded.  I emailed the seller with a WTF message and he told me he had second thoughts about selling the shoes at that price and intercepted the package.

Crazy that he didn't let you know the second he changed his mind. 

Tim Sherry · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 551

Get on the phone with Paypal!

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Never thought about making the buyer use the purchase option, that's an interesting thing to consider.

Bob . · · lyons, co · Joined May 2012 · Points: 10

he's a graduate student at the IU school of informatics.  If you feel like tracking him down it should be as easy as a phone call to his department, figure out his office hours maybe.

https://www.soic.indiana.edu/about/contact/

his school email is listed in the directory as well.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Ryan Bowen wrote:

This is why PayPal gifts are dangerous. You can send money via gift on credit card, dispute it, and get money back easily. PayPal has a strict set of rules regarding seller protection, and the two big ones include paying the fees, and only shipping to their PayPal listed address. If you don't do both of those, they will tell you to fuck right off. 

Almost happened to me selling a bike on pinkbike. 

Except that if you do PayPal gift the buyer cant dispute the transaction in the first place (via PayPal anyway). Gift means no seller protection, but also no buyer protection either, thus no dispute. It's been my experience with PayPal that the seller protection is mostly bullshit, and really PayPal is set up to help the buyer. The type of fraud committed to the OP is common, and I've seen several honest sellers screwed by PayPal disputes. Thus, choosing the gift option as a seller can be safer because it ensures the buyer cannot dispute the charge. Yes, there is the bank dispute as well. However, you can only dispute credit card charges and when the seller says the buyer has to pay the charges, most buyers will not use a credit card. It really can go either way. Require gift payments and ensure no PayPal disputes, or require standard payments and get their "seller protection" but know the buyer can dispute the transaction and in the vast majority of cases PayPal sides with the buyer.

Anyway, to the OP, the buyer only disputed the transaction which means the amount PayPal withdrew is only being held. He doesent have the funds yet. If he is claiming the package never showed up, you can enter in the tracking to prove otherwise if you were unable to intercept the package.

Ryan Bowen · · Bend, Or · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 85
20 kN wrote:

Except that if you do PayPal gift the buyer cant dispute the transaction in the first place (via PayPal anyway). Gift means no seller protection, but also no buyer protection either, thus no dispute. It's been my rather extensive experience with PayPal that the seller protection is mostly bullshit, and really PayPal is set up to help the buyer. The type of fraud committed to the OP is common, and I've seen several honest sellers screwed by PayPal disputes. Thus, choosing the gift option as a seller can be safer because it ensures the buyer cannot dispute the charge. Yes, there is the bank dispute as well. However, you can only dispute credit card charges and when the seller says the buyer has to pay the charges, most buyers will not use a credit card. It really can go either way. Require gift payments and ensure no PayPal disputes, or require standard payments and get their "seller protection" but know the buyer can dispute the transaction and in the vast majority of cases PayPal sides with the buyer.

Anyway, to the OP, the buyer only disputed the transaction which means the amount PayPal withdrew is only being held. He doesent have the funds yet. If he is claiming the package never showed up, you can enter in the tracking to prove otherwise if you were unable to intercept the package.

Dispute it with the CC company.  I guess I didn't specify.

Marc-Olivier Chabot · · Gatineau, QC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 440

So what is really the best way? I thing the best is what I did? Give personal information. When someone buy from me I, sometime when I feel is needed, send a copy of my driver license. This way the seller know my name, my age, my address, my driver license number, etc. How could I fraud him now and why the seller should paying more for a paypal protection. The best way is probably no PayPal protection and both party exchange personal ID. I sell a lot on mountain project and I never got problems but I have to agree that this story scared me. I got fraud 2 times.10 years ago the computer I bought on ebay was empty. 3 years ago a seller never send me a pair of ice tool. He was supposed to send the package with tracking but told me at the end that he ship it without tracking. I new immediately he bullshit me because the size and the weight of the package was far over small package and it was impossible for him to used shippement without tracking. Do you thing my way is good? Should I be worry with that?

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

The safest protection is buying from people with a solid reputation on the forum.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started