Mountain Project Logo

DWS at Lake Mead?River?

Original Post
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

Any one know of any cool cliffs on the river or lakes(Mead/Mojave)?

Preferably accessible by a kayak/canoe vs. boat

Rprops · · Nevada · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 2,422

I have the best beta on the worst DWS in America.

If you paddle out from Callville bay maybe 3/4 mile there is a small cove. In the cove is a freestanding rock, 40-50 feet tall depending on water depth. Its great for cliff jumping.

However it used to be on the bottom of the lake, which means its made of hardened mud. And covered in Chines clams. Dead ones. Which attracrs flies. Which attracts the spiders. 

So you brush off the clam shells, swat through the spider webs, and try not to pull to hard on the disintegrating mud.   Oh and don't touch the rock nettle on top. 

Besides all that its great. I predict your trip report reads something like " Can confirm, was awful. Was fun."

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Gunkswest wrote:

In the mid-90s, we did a bunch of bolted routes about a half mile upstream of the Hoover Dam. The routes are on the AZ side, only accessible by boat and range from 5.7-11+. They are mentioned in Rock Climbing Red Rocks (2000), page 398. This area may now be within the post 9-11 security closure area of the dam.

Do you beach your boat and then climb or are these routes over water? Half a mile upstream? meaning.. its on the lake not river right?, so somewhere by kingman wash? I don't have that guide but DRS probably has a copy I can look at. THANX!

Anyone have any info on the river?...it looks the most promising

. . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

I'd be up for kayaking+climbing attempts, if you need a belay.  I can bring one or two kayaks, plus climbing kit.  

I was scouting trad lines down on the black canyon (just south of the dam), and saw a nice off width near the usual overnight camping spot.
I assumed giving it a go would be such a fiasco that I'd do it solo (1st lap: solo aid, second lap: top-rope solo), but...   

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
james schaefer wrote:

I'd be up for kayaking+climbing attempts, if you need a belay.  I can bring one or two kayaks, plus climbing kit.  

I was scouting trad lines down on the black canyon (just south of the dam), and saw a nice off width near the usual overnight camping spot.
I assumed giving it a go would be such a fiasco that I'd do it solo (1st lap: solo aid, second lap: top-rope solo), but...   

I have 2 kayaks and a canoe as well... we should def chk it out! 

I want to put in at willow on a sat morning, then get picked up(or self shuttle) in searchlight(Katherine's landing) on sun afternoon... nice float and hopefully some dws/climbing and cliff jumping along the way...

. . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

That sounds super fun!
I'll send you my cell # via e-mail.

All the scouting I've done is north of Willow, but that hardly matters.  I will say that a lot of the rock I've seen near the water is super crumbly choss.  No other way to put it.  So my hope was to aim for bigger cracks and hopefully find some trustworthy rock for roped climbing (and hope to not shower the belayer in rockfall).  

but I'm game to try DWS, who knows what we'll find.

and as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.  

PaulMudd · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 5

Would love to know if you guys end up finding anything, I've been up and down Black Canyon a fair amount in my kayak and I am always looking for possible lines, but as James mentioned, everything seems to be a chossy mess. I always thought it would be cool to find a line on the wall by the gaugers station. I've done the float from Willow to Lake Mohave, once you get out of the canyon down past Willow, there isn't much in the way of climbing potential (as I'm sure you know) but some good cliff jumping at Nelson's landing. We did do some "DWS" at Nelson although it was more like clambering up crumbly dirt walls but, was able to find a few cliffs that were fun and worth the effort. Been wanting to get up to Lake Powell with the kayaks and climb some of those cracks over the water.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "DWS at Lake Mead?River?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started