Mountain Project Logo

How bout dis anchor belay?

Original Post
Sean Kirtley · · Utah · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 275

So cruzing Instagram I come to this photo. While the climb doesn't look super vertical or close  to it, the belay and anchor setup caught me scratching my head. 

What are your thoughts?

Derick Page · · Ft Collins · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 35

Not sure that would cash me ousside.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

She looks very happy and that's all that counts.

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Looks like what would happen if you only remembered half of the important things you were supposed to remember.

That biner wrap around the gate is almost hypnotic.

WoodyW · · Alaska · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 70

I have a struggle with mental confidence slinging chicken heads with slings for for pro, let alone building an anchor!! Post their instagram. Not so we can go bash them, but to politely ask "WTF are you thinking?"   

....yer gunna die.   

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

what the... ?!

Rather than doing the typical "see how many things you can identify that are wrong with this picture", can anyone find anything they did right?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

I've belayed off of an anchor that consisted of an ancient 1/4" spinner and 3 chicken heads. There are routes like that which haven't been improved with modern gear. Fortunately that and the following pitch were both pretty easy. You deal with what you are given.

Taylor Spiegelberg · · WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,676
Derick Page wrote:

Not sure that would cash me ousside.

Comment of the Year-2017. Congrats Sir

Marc801 C wrote:

I've belayed off of an anchor that consisted of an ancient 1/4" spinner and 3 chicken heads. There are routes like that which haven't been improved with modern gear. Fortunately that and the following pitch were both pretty easy. You deal with what you are given.

Correct. Even with what was given, I feel it could have been executed better. 

Mongoclimb · · Seattle, WA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 0

I call hooey 

Any recommendations for improvement?

David House · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 453

Fun looking route, where is that?

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

The slung chicken heads actually look alright, I mean not crazy awesome, but given the terrain not bad. From there the whole things gets funky. The Grigri looks to be there only because it's hanging on the locker, but then I have no idea what is going on with the carabiner connecting the two and the rope wrapping the gate. It's probably an easy 5.5 that got people in over their heads because they don't know how to build an anchor. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
JSH wrote:

I was going to criticize,  the grigri makes me feel much better.

Agreed.  Was gonna say "YGD," but clearly an American Death Triangle around a chicken head with a Grigri is bomber.  My question is: who the hell belayed who?  And is that carabiner gate half open?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Awe sheesh. You spoiled it! Clearly they were warming up for a shot at Fame in the devil's lake top rope thread?

OLH

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

I'd belay off those chicken heads if that was the only option, but I definately wouldn't do it like that. The chickenheads should be slung with a clove hitch or slip knot and equalized as best as possible, and they should be used as a back-up to a butt friction belay on the lower angle terrain below.

I don't even know where to begin with the grigri hanging without the rope in it and WTF is going on with the rope wrapped around the biner on the left chicken head. I really hope she actually used the gri to belay and not just holding the rope wrapped around the biner. 

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Is a grigri active or passive?

Dan Maus · · Grand Rapids, MI · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 75

I just don't understand...why this is still being discussed. Hooey was called long ago!

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

That and a couple bolts would be more than bomber

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300

That overhand on a bight looks like it was tied correctly. Can't really see her tie-in knot, but since I can see her belay loop, I assume she didn't put her harness on backwards. So that's two things she probably did right.

chris murphy · · Centennial Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

If you don't like slinging chicken heads I would say don't climb in the stronghold lots of CH anchors. Now to whats going on. my bet is she was on follow and her top belay had her anchor in on the chicken head slung with the Gri gri, which isn't in any use. the second biner looks to be the actual belayers directional for his the belay and she may have got the rope crossed at some point or went under it getting to her position. looks messy but fine to me.   

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "How bout dis anchor belay?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.