Mountain Project Logo

How many days in a row have you climbed outdoors?

Original Post
F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 1,065

In the mood for a pissing contest? Urine luck! ;-) I'm conducting some research for a work-related project.

Exclusions: paid guiding and bouldering. How many days have you climbed ...

1) In a row?

2) In a calendar year? (Serious Front Range weekend warrior points if you actually keep track of this)

3) Within a fixed period of time like a road trip (i.e. 18 out of 21 days)

ok, so the only thing that makes this work-related is the fact that I'm on my office computer.

1) 9 days in a row

2) Used to have it on a paper calendar, lost in a move (not a crux one, just one Uhaul). I used to be a teacher and would log my rock days and vertical feet. Then I got married and didn't have to impress anyone by "accidentally" quantifying how much fun I had in a year.

3) 13 of 15 days.

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115

Leave the counting days to the skiers. Count sends instead. Quality over quantity. Rest days matter. 

JCM wrote:

Leave the counting days to the skiers. Count sends instead. Quality over quantity. Rest days matter. 

Yeah, I found that out when I got a normal job and could no longer overtrain outdoors in the summer. I'm just curious to see what sort of stats the real dirtbags can produce, if they kept track.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

2 years ago I did a 12 day trip across 4 areas and 1,300 driving miles. I ended up climbing each day to some degree, but got only 43 pitches in, mostly at or below max onsight level. I agree with quantity over quality, but sometimes there aren't enough days to take a rest day...and I did get my hardest flash to date on day 10 :-).

LLubchenco · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 25

Didn't keep a log by any means, but climbed something like 28 of 30 days in June 2 years ago. Kept sending projects every 6th day, so I couldn't stop. Some were definitely "active" rest days where gravity was high, but climbing nonetheless. It's easier to do when you live in your car!

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

my highest year for number of days climbed was 190. about 90 days in the vanagon that year as well. these days I go for quality over quantity. last year was 79 days...

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667

1) 5

2) Yes, I do keep track, but I don't have it on hand. Around 60-70 days would be the best year.

3) 10 out of 12 days

You win :)

The pissing contest remark was only an excuse to wiggle in some wordplay. Everyone, please feel free to micturate at your own pace and viscosity.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270

I've done 6 in a row a couple times.

I think in 2016 I was ~80

This included 50 days in 3 months. I lived in my car while studying for the bar exam and afterwards and was climbing 4 days per week over that period

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648

What is this "outdoors" thing you speak of, and how can you do the climbing without being in a gym?

Benjamin Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0
Ken Noyce wrote:

What is this "outdoors" thing you speak of, and how can you do the climbing without being in a gym?

You have to bring your own colored tape to place on the holds as you go along. 

Benjamin Mitchell wrote:

You have to bring your own colored tape to place on the holds as you go along. 

Tape is aid. I just stick to the grey route. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

1) 10950 (steps count right?)

2) 365 (steps count right?)

3) 14 / 14 (steps count right?)

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507

1) I try not to climb hard more than 3 days in a row, though I think I've done 7-10 days on without a rest day before.

2) In 2015 I had about 125 days out, did a six month road trip in 2016, am in the middle of another six monther. I likely have 100+ days on rock this year to date.

3) Maybe 25 out of 31 days

ViperScale wrote:

1) 10950 (steps count right?)

2) 365 (steps count right?)

3) 14 / 14 (steps count right?)

When I worked in a warehouse, we wore pedometers and reviewed our daily step count in an effort to maximize productivity. Kind of cool, kind of creepy.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

1) .5

2) you don't wanna know, too sad

3) three one day trips (24 hours or less): one, two, and zero routes, yes routes, climbed. Did have a really, really, large black bear mosey by, about ten feet away while I was laying on the ground in the middle of a sleepless night pondering things that eat you if you lay around in remote places in the middle of the night, saw my first bighorn sheep, and spuds being harvested, respectively. 

I can also testify that Hells Canyon is sorta outrageously toasty in August, Burnt River Oregon has a challenging belay on a sideways scree covered slope, and Massacre rocks has deviously short prickly pear cacti clumps lurking in the slippery as snot 60 degree grass slopes.

So. Do educational climbing field trips count?

Best, OLH

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

After 44 years - who the hell remembers?

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Do gym days count?

1) 3 days in a row (outdoor)

2) 15 days in a year (closer to 125 if you count the gym)

3) 6 out of 9 days (mix of outdoor and gym)

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

-I've climbed ~58 out of 60 days on multiple occasions on climbing trips. When I am on a climbing trip, I typically climb everyday that I am not driving.

-In a year, my max is probably around 280. Average is more like 150.

-On a climbing trip, I've probably done around 240 out of 270 days on my longest trip.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "How many days in a row have you climbed outdoors?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started