Mountain Project Logo

Front Range alpine rock conditions

Original Post
BoulderCharles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 95

Has anyone been up to the park recently and scoped the conditions around Sky Pond? Just curious to know if the faces are mostly clear and how the approach looks.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Off facebook from this weekend.  

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

Thanks for the photo!!  Anyone been on any of the routes, Grepon or Saber?  How dry?

Chris Sheridan · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,693

I climbed the south face of the petit, the NE ridge of the shark's tooth, and Zowie over the weekend.  All the routes were dry. There's snow at the base of each of them though. Not much snow below the petit or Zowie, but lots of snow to get to the base of the NE ridge of the Shark's Tooth.  Beautiful time of year to be up there.

BoulderCharles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 95

Thanks for the replies! Definitely looks like it's good to go.

Jonathan S · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 176

Anyone been up around Spearhead? Is the rock dry?

Andy Nelson · · Fort Collins, Colorado · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 336

I saw a picture from the Trough this weekend and Glacier Gorge above Black Lake looked covered in snow: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUzCvZAB5dO/?taken-at=248704423

In other house keeping - can we rename this thread the "alpine rock conditions" thread?  Seems like that time of year where a place for this info would be nice.  

Max Niebergall · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Does anyone know what the current conditions are on Hallet Peak? 

Nick Andrasik · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Anyone been up in the Indian Peaks lately - say around Lone Eagle?

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
Nick Andrasik wrote:

Anyone been up in the Indian Peaks lately - say around Lone Eagle?

Second hand info, but I think the snow is pretty deep up there still.  This is still backcountry spring ski season for sure. 

Evan Gerry · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15
Andy Nelson wrote:

I saw a picture from the Trough this weekend and Glacier Gorge above Black Lake looked covered in snow: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUzCvZAB5dO/?taken-at=248704423

I posted this a few days after the photo was taken, so it is from 5/28. With the recent warm weather and sun, there's been a lot of melting. Haven't been up to check it out though since. The weekend looks promising.

Andy Nelson · · Fort Collins, Colorado · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 336

Taken by a friend from this past weekend (6/4 I believe).  Reporting routes on Spearhead and Arrowhead looking mostly dry.  

The Blueprint Part Dank · · FEMA Region VIII · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 460

Great thread topic

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
Chris Sheridan wrote:

I climbed the south face of the petit, the NE ridge of the shark's tooth, and Zowie over the weekend.  All the routes were dry. There's snow at the base of each of them though. Not much snow below the petit or Zowie, but lots of snow to get to the base of the NE ridge of the Shark's Tooth.  Beautiful time of year to be up there.

Thanks for the info!  How did you approach?  Skis?

Chris Sheridan · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,693

We didn't bring any floatation. Boots alone were good enough on the way in to the Petit.  Things were pretty soft on the downhill when we first started heading from the Shark's Tooth over to Zowie, but once the terrain got flatter, the snow got firmer.

Matthew Gerhart · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

I climbed the South Face of Petit Grepon yesterday.  The route is completely dry.

As for the approach:  the trail is mostly snow-free until just before the Loch; after that, you're mostly on snow to the base of Petit.  I did the approach in boots.  Depending on your comfort level with sections of steep snow, and the snow conditions, some folks might want poles and/or crampons.  

Matt Inoue · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 95
Matthew Gerhart wrote:

I climbed the South Face of Petit Grepon yesterday.  The route is completely dry.

As for the approach:  the trail is mostly snow-free until just before the Loch; after that, you're mostly on snow to the base of Petit.  I did the approach in boots.  Depending on your comfort level with sections of steep snow, and the snow conditions, some folks might want poles and/or crampons.  

I think you were the party before us.  The trail is packed down hard and the Petit was very dry.

Has anybody been up to Hallett (second buttress)?

Skeletor 69 · · MT · Joined May 2016 · Points: 120

Anyone been up on the diamond? How are conditions?

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600

Taken yesterday

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

The casual was dry as of Friday broadway and the North chimnie were snowy of course.
Alton Richardson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 170

Tried to do Casual yesterday. North Chimney was full-on. The softening snow forced us to the rock earlier then should have and by the time we finished out the first pitch (still in mountain boots) a solid sprinkler was coming off D1 and blowing straight into the corner and crux.

BAIL!

Good on ya Friday team! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Front Range alpine rock conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started