Mountain Project Logo

Week in Wyo, late summer - area recommendations?

Original Post
Jess Arnold · · SLC · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 173

I'll be headed out with a coupla folks to Wyoming on the way to the coast in mid/late August. Hoping to spend a week sport and trad climbing. We're pretty solid ~5.10 sport climbers and beginning on pro. Want to maximize our time while we're out there and get as much climbing in as possible before we transition into gumby-armed backpackers out in Cali. I'm willing to drive a day or so off I-80. 

For first-time Wyo climbers, where would folks suggest hitting up for 5-6 days to maximize good climbing, scenery, camping & the whole shebang? A lil overwhelemed by the options & would like some local input if possible. 

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 55

Ten Sleep is some of the best sport climbing in the Rockies imo but it doesn't really get interesting until 11 and up..  there are 5.10s but not sure if you could spend a week climbing 5.10.

Wild Iris is excellent that time of year and a little bit more to do in the lower grades although I think 3-4 days would be plenty if topping out in 10s.

Perhaps someone can weigh in on the stuff near Sheridan, but FWIW Sheridan is a haul coming from I80.

Vedauwoo is excellent and has some easier trad (and some beastly inverted OW!)

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

if you are just passing through you simply have to climb Devils tower! august is hot but get a 4am start and be down and swilling ice cold brewskies by 10am ;)

Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

Vedauwoo and Wild Iris are your best bets. Hit me up if you need a (somewhat biased) tour of the classic moderates at Vedauwoo. It is literally on the interstate, so worth a day if you need a relief from the drive.

Mike Gibson · · Payson, AZ · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 0

The solar eclipse will pass thru the middle of Wyoming on August 21st.  Word is the state is going to be totally overrun with people coming in to see it.  Hotels and campsites will be very scarce.  Anything that can be reserved probably already has been.  Of course you can dirtbag camp just about anywhere.  I heard of people calling to reserve entire hotels over 6 months ago.

The climbing near Sheridan is not destination worth.  I go climbing there on a very rare occasion when I go back to visit family but wouldn't otherwise.  However, Tongue River Canyon and Steamboat Rock are awesome hikes

As others said, Wild Iris and Vedauwoo are your best bets near I-80, assuming you don't want to go into remote wilderness areas.

Jess Arnold · · SLC · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 173
mike gibson wrote:

The solar eclipse will pass thru the middle of Wyoming on August 21st.  Word is the state is going to be totally overrun with people coming in to see it.  Hotels and campsites will be very scarce.  Anything that can be reserved probably already has been.  Of course you can dirtbag camp just about anywhere.  I heard of people calling to reserve entire hotels over 6 months ago.

The climbing near Sheridan is not destination worth.  I go climbing there on a very rare occasion when I go back to visit family but wouldn't otherwise.  However, Tongue River Canyon and Steamboat Rock are awesome hikes

As others said, Wild Iris and Vedauwoo are your best bets near I-80, assuming you don't want to go into remote wilderness areas.

Oof, I hadn't even considered that. Thanks for pointing that out. Originally we hadn't planned on staying in Wyoming at all but I'd been reading up on some of the crags and figured it would be worth an extension. Definitely are leaning towards Vedauwoo & Wild Iris. Thank ya! 

Anna Lou · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

Lander area, sinks canyon, but at 5.10 you wouldn't need a whole week, you could go do a peak in the winder rivers after or in the tetons and as you continue on the way City of Rocks might be good, decent place if you are getting into trad climbing.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Are  you stuck on I-80?  

From Minneapolis, take I-90, hit up Rushmore, Deto, then move to HWY 16/20 and hit up Tensleep, Lander area, THEN drop down to I80.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Week in Wyo, late summer - area recommendations? "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.