Mountain Project Logo

Post-Wall numb toes

Original Post
Stan McKnight · · AZ · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 261

Got off a two day wall about a week ago and my big toe has had a tingling sensation since we finished. I've done lots of stuff in the approach shoes I used before and never had a problem, it seems from reading around that this is a result of minor nerve damage to my toe. It seems like for some people this is usually only temporary, has anyone else ever experienced this? temporary numbness in the toes after a wall? If so, how long did it last/ is there anything you did to help recovery?

Thanks in advance for any help

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 396

Don't worry about it too much.  I get the same thing when I spend long days with pressure on my toes.  It usually happens to me after long days on steep snow in mountain boots.  It can last between a few days to a few weeks.  

In fact, my toes are somewhat numb right now!   

Ryan Arnold · · SLC · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 751

I broke in some new TC pros on an 8 pitch route and had severe numbness and a little tingling of my big toes for over a year.  Didn't change at all for that year, then over a month or two went away.  They feel normal now.  Sometimes the numbness recurs for a few days after a long climb, but has never been that severe again.  Feels good to have the sensation back.

Sean M · · Victor, MT · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 43

totally normal. Gotten this several times after long multipitches. Ranges from only a toe or two, to the entire bottom of the toebox area of the foot. Loosen up those shoes every couple pitches. Even if they are "comfy shoes", your feet are still likely being constricted!

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

If you pinch a nerve for a long time it can cause temporary tingling or loss of feeling. I use to get this on my right leg when I did long distance runs. Around mile 3-4 of the run my right leg would go numb for a few miles. Doc said it was likely just a nerve being compressed.

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

I got it from spending 3 days in tight approach shoes doing the grand traverse. It went away in about a month. 

Jared Sanders · · Florissant, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

Welcome to big wall climbing? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Post-Wall numb toes"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.