Mountain Project Logo

The Brotherhood Of the Traveling Stopper...

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Carson Darling wrote:

I've got plans to be in northwest Washington & BC climbing for the next three weeks, so I'm sure I can keep the pace going!

Glad to hear it. Looking back through the posts on the original (Eleanor), it seemed that people were eager to get the Stopper, but were wishy-washy on actual climbing plans. (Or, if you believe the legends, the Curse made all their plans turn wishy-washy...) I already had my trip booked when Resurrection became available, and even if the weather was iffy, I was reasonably confident I'd be able to get on something.

Resurrection is officially on its way to Seattle, where Carson will pick it up for its next adventure. Have fun!

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

Some of the other stoppers aught to have made an appearance by now, but OK, they have not.
I'm going to check in on July 10 or so.  Any stopper who has made fewer routes than I have been in countries, meanwhile, is in the hands of a lame-o, Bogartin' wanna-be.

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60

I'll be otherwise occupied for the foreseeable future and I've made a legitimate effort to make this thing happen. But among my climbing circle, the BOTS doesn't seem to mean much and no one wants to climbing something new/obscure/with a hike that isn't a classic in RMNP. Us young folk aren't nearly as badass it would appear.

I have a stopper, so post if you want it.

Justin Laursen · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 430

Living in southwest Colorado, I am surrounded by adventure choss. If it's still available, I'll take the stopper.

2 stoppers in circulation? Outstanding!

Carson, if you're checking MP, how's your trip with Resurrection going?

Carson Darling · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 85

Hey Andrew! Trip with Resurrection is going well. I just got back from Vantage, WA, and will have a trip report written up tomorrow

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

2 stoppers in circulation? Outstanding!

Carson, if you're checking MP, how's your trip with Resurrection going?

Actually, there are 5... And a bunch of f¥€£!%& lame-o's sitting on them, for the most part.

Tony B wrote:

Actually, there are 5... And a bunch of f¥€£!%& lame-o's sitting on them, for the most part.

Well, yes... I guess I was referring more to active stoppers in circulation.

Alright, so I'm going to try to keep this relatively brief, so that I actually finish writing it. In short, Resurrection accompanied me for about 3 weeks around Washington and BC. For a lot of the time, we were searching for dry rock, and ended up doing more sport & bouldering than trad climbing, until we made it to Vantage.

During the first weekend that I had Resurrection, we were focused on Mt. Baker and doing some ski touring. We skied on Saturday on Mt. Shuksan (my first time skinning), and then on Sunday headed up Mt. Baker for a single-day ascent. I won't bore you climbers with mountaineering details, but we made it up to about 9600' before turning around due to crampon failure.

The next day, our goal was to head up to Squamish so that we could get on the Apron and do some longer multi-pitch climbing with Resurrection in tow. The forecast wasn't great, but we drove up anyways to see what we could make happen. We bouldered a couple of times that evening, and on Tuesday morning it was raining. The group I was with (myself included) wasn't comfortable with the amount of water we'd have to deal with on the Apron, so we headed to Cheakamus to do some sport climbing on some of the overhung crags before heading back to Bellingham.

On Wednesday, we again gambled with the weather and drove to Mt. Erie. I had a sport project that I wasn't able to send last year, and I wanted to go back to get on it again. We got a lucky break in the clouds and despite raining during the approach, Erie was dry for most of the morning.

On Thursday we decided to do some planning, and see where we could go for some dry rock. Pretty much everything in the NW was going to rain, so we headed across the mountains to Vantage. Even there, it was raining when we arrived. I had never been on basalt before, and so we spent most of Friday sport climbing, and I was able to onsight my first 11.

On Saturday, a full week of climbing after getting Resurrection, we finally got to do some trad climbing. It was fairly relaxed, and was very helpful to help me get my head back into the trad leading game.

The following weekend, another friend and I went back to Vantage. It was insanely hot, so we were only able to climb early morning until about 11am, when most of the routes are in the sun. To make sure we checked the box on adventure climbing, we headed up an unknown route, one that we couldn't find in the guidebook or on here.

All in, Resurrection was placed a handful of times, and helped me with my first experience on basalt, and with getting used to jamming.

Who's next?

H Lue · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10

Currently in Seattle as basecamp while I explore the PNW. I'm in! 

Hector, PMing you now :)

It's alive!!! 3 TR's in less than 2 months. Let's keep this thing going, guys!

Carson Darling wrote:

Hector, PMing you now :)

Just got it! I'll take it out for a spin this weekend!

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53

Would love to get my grubby hands on that stopper, for a trip to the needles:)

Eliot Augusto · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 60
Eliot Augusto wrote:

I'll be otherwise occupied for the foreseeable future and I've made a legitimate effort to make this thing happen. But among my climbing circle, the BOTS doesn't seem to mean much and no one wants to climbing something new/obscure/with a hike that isn't a classic in RMNP. Us young folk aren't nearly as badass it would appear.

I have a stopper, so post if you want it.

On its way. Sorry for the delay, I've been away.

Hector, how did the trip go with Resurrection? Per the rules, I'm duty-bound to harass you until you post up a trip report. ;)

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Hector, how did the trip go with Resurrection? Per the rules, I'm duty-bound to harass you until you post up a trip report. ;)

Thanks for following up! So sorry for the incredible delay guys. Got a new job and wife and I are in the process of relocating to Seattle. We had to cut our trip short and travel back to San Diego to get everything squared away for our move. I'm happy to ship it off to the next person if someone wants it or promise to share a trip report after we get settled in Seattle next week!

Hey Tony, what's the policy on taking the Stopper more than once? I actually have a trip planned in 2 and a half weeks. It won't be anything amazing (checking out the new Marquette State Park climbing area in IL prior to the eclipse), but I'd get the Stopper out on some more rock...

Andrew Krajnik wrote:

Hey Tony, what's the policy on taking the Stopper more than once? I actually have a trip planned in 2 and a half weeks. It won't be anything amazing (checking out the new Marquette State Park climbing area in IL prior to the eclipse), but I'd get the Stopper out on some more rock...

None that I know of.  If you want to show that you climb 2x more than the other 3 recipients all combined, go for it!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "The Brotherhood Of the Traveling Stopper..."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started