Mountain Project Logo

Needles road?

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

5-8-17 update.....    The lower road is now opened up, so you can now get to Voodo Dome.....   tons of 7 star climbs to be had there and with the cool weather it will be nice.

Upper road (dirt part) still locked.... 

One can get to Dome rock now... 

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53

Looks like I might make a visit voodoo sat:)

Brad MacArthur · · Bishop, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 120

I'm looking at doing WPOD memorial weekend.  Ive only been to the needles once at the other camping area to access the needles proper.  Is there plenty of dispersed camping opportunities off the lower road to access Voodoo?  any reccomendations for camping north or south of voodoo off any dirt roads which won't be full of memorial day campers?  thanks

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
beantown wrote:

I'm looking at doing WPOD memorial weekend.  Ive only been to the needles once at the other camping area to access the needles proper.  Is there plenty of dispersed camping opportunities off the lower road to access Voodoo?  any reccomendations for camping north or south of voodoo off any dirt roads which won't be full of memorial day campers?  thanks

There is a campground right at the beginning of the approach hike to Voodoo Dome. I think it's called Lower Peppermint Campground.

Brad MacArthur · · Bishop, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 120

FYi i have a 4x4 pop up camper so don't need much.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
beantown wrote:

Look through this....   the trail got pruned all the way to the base, by MOOCH last weekend.... beware of MOOCH he is a known womanizer and might steal your woman folk. 

My secret Beta to do a really rapid ascent of WPOD ......  on pitch one, stop and set up a belay about 60- 70 feet up... send your weak second up to do this, there is a small stance and good cams-- if you go close to the end of your rope, a good anchor is a hard thing to get and its a uncomfortable stance--  by doing a short pitch, the strong leader can blast past, do the crux of P1 and continue up and out the alcove (crux of P2) and stop at a big level spot..... gather up the rope and go through the tunnel and you are at the real money pitch (hard lyback with some runout unprotected stuff at the top)this Money pitch puts you at the face pitch.... do that(study closley its not just straight up...you traverse abit to get to the beginning of a water streek/groove that gives better and better holds the more runout you get)  and its in the bag.... first timers go all the way up a easy hand crack... to the summit.

I always rap from the top of the face pitch, with two 60m....one rap is short (takes you to the edge of huge drop off where you find more bolts) just be smart about it and your at the bottom by Voodo Chile .... 80 feet away from packs-- fast. My friend who wrote the guide book says im crazy for rapping because the hike down is so nice.... the hike is hella long and I like to get to pack for the refreshments stashed.

Good luck, have a great climb.... 

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

FYI I just spoke to someone in the Springville Ranger District office, who said that Forest Rte 21S05 is not going to be open this weekend. He said they've been getting lots of calls but there are many downed trees and their priority this week is to get the campgrounds open for the season. Next week they hope to turn to the road.

Nothing wrong with a bit of hiking!

Also: can anyone tell me what the Camp Nelson Jeep Run is? It is happening this Saturday night at Nelson's Tavern. 

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60
SethG wrote:

Also: can anyone tell me what the Camp Nelson Jeep Run is? It is happening this Saturday night at Nelson's Tavern. 

It's not too bad of a hike.  If you bring your mt. bike it will feel much shorter.  There's only a few hundred feet of elevation gain and loss on the fireroad in.  

I'll be in Camp Nelson this weekend (though just hanging out with the family) but not attending the Jeep Run.  I think it's a Jeep and Poker Run.  Sounds like something they'd have up there, but not quite sure how it works.  Just stop by Nelson's Place while you're heading up 190 and find out.  It's a good place to stop to purchase your post climb beverages and ice.  

Fat Dad wrote:

It's not too bad of a hike.  If you bring your mt. bike it will feel much shorter.  There's only a few hundred feet of elevation gain and loss on the fireroad in.  

I'll be in Camp Nelson this weekend (though just hanging out with the family) but not attending the Jeep Run.  I think it's a Jeep and Poker Run.  Sounds like something they'd have up there, but not quite sure how it works.  Just stop by Nelson's Place while you're heading up 190 and find out.  It's a good place to stop to purchase your post climb beverages and ice.  

Thanks for your advice FD. I am flying cross country so I'm not bringing a bike. I looked into renting but everyplace I checked was pretty expensive. So my partner and I will be hiking.... unless you care to loan us a couple of mountain bikes!

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

The gate is open and the road is clear.  I didn't check out the road personally but saw the gate was unlocked and spoke with some hikers atop Dome Rock yesterday who said they had driven to the trailhead and hiked in earlier that day.

JaredG · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 17

We hiked in the hard way this weekend, but met several parties who had camped at the end of the normal road.  They said you'd need at least a Subaru to get to the end of the road.

Andrew McLean · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 370

Sorry a bit off topic but figured you all would know.   What is the best guidebook for The Needles?

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

So we spent the last four days in the Needles and we were overjoyed to find the road open on Saturday. However, there was a big muddy rut just over halfway down the road which we elected not to try to pass. 

This was shortly smoothed out, however, and yesterday we drove all the way down in a Chevy Cruze. So now it is  passable. Happy climbing!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Needles road?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started