Mountain Project Logo

Re-organization of the Idaho Main Page on Mountain Project - check it out!

Original Post
Mike Engle · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 8,994

Hello Idaho Climbers,

There have been a number requests to re-organize the Idaho page on Mountain Project for easier and more intuitive navigation. I've been working on this off and on for a couple months and finally made the changes.

I divided the state into 5 geographic regions - North Idaho (the Pan Handle - Sandpoint, Q-Emilin Park), West Idaho (Boise & McCall areas), Central Idaho (Sawtooths, the Fins), South Idaho (City of Rocks, Twin Falls area), and East Idaho (Massacre Rocks; Poky, IF and Driggs areas).

I approached the project by taking a map of Idaho and adding circles to the map for each climbing area on the Idaho page of Mountain Project. I sized the circles to represent the number of routes on Mountain Project. After completing this time consuming task it was relatively easy to divide the geographic regions. This working map of Idaho is on the Idaho main page on Mountain Project ( https://www.mountainproject.com/v/idaho/105708958 ). In time, I will remove the climbing area circles leaving only the geographic regions.

Please review the regions and the relocation of the climbing areas to the new geographic regions. Look for mistakes and/or if you have a disagreement with where a particular area ended up. Small changes will be easy to make. Major changes (like re-defining the number of geographic regions will be more difficult). I am also looking for better/more text descriptions for each geographic region if you care to make suggestions.

Thanks for your review and input!

Mike Engle

Admin for Idaho

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Thanks for the work! 

The map with the dots is fun. It would be nice if those could be clicked to get to those areas, but I realize that may not be workable. 

I'd consider keeping that visual though. It makes the locale of climbing easy to see, even if you aren't able to link them to names.

Best, OLH

R Walters · · Sonora, CA · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 310

There is a feature on the MP home page where the circles/dots are clickable. If you zoom in over Idaho on the Google Map applet, it will eventually display circles for the regions that Mike created. If you zoom in yet another step or two, the circles will disaggregate into individual areas.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
R.Walters wrote:

There is a feature on the MP home page where the circles/dots are clickable. If you zoom in over Idaho on the Google Map applet, it will eventually display circles for the regions that Mike created. If you zoom in yet another step or two, the circles will disaggregate into individual areas.

Thanks, but he said he'd be removing his. Good to know! Guess I'll install the app, one of these years.

OLH

Ken H · · Granite, UT · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 3,926

Seems great Mike. Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Re-organization of the Idaho Main Page on Mount…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started