Mountain Project Logo

Best helmet?

Original Post
Jackson Chambers · · Springville, UT · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 52

What's a bomber helmet for a cheap price, and not too hot in the summer?

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 525

Petzl Meteor is great.  Lightweight and comfy.  Geartrade has great deals on them almost all the time because backcountry sells their used merch there.  Good deal here, though for a guy you'll most likely need a size 2, unless you have a small head.

https://www.geartrade.com/item/502004/meteor-climbing-helmet-silverblue-1-like-new

Aaron Guillotte · · Boston · Joined May 2016 · Points: 15

Another vote for the Meteor. Always seems to be on sale somewhere, ventilation is great.

dino74 · · Oceanside, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 70

I got a Meteor (Size 2) to replace my old Petzl Elios. Was excited about the weight but it was too small for my big head. If you read the online reviews, others with larger heads had this problem too.

longlep · · Grand Junction · Joined May 2014 · Points: 20

I have had both the wall rider and the meteor.  I think the wall rider is better.  It is lower profile and sits better on my head.  Also the bendy foam (EPP) in the wall rider is way better than the foam in most helmets (EPS).

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

Ignore this if you don't care about various foams and market trends

Meteor is sweet and i got mine for stupid cheap £28, the wall rider looks really good though is kind of missing the point of EPP I'm really disappointed that petzl's new sirocco has gone away from the whole EPP construction and is now using EPS for the top part, the advantage EPP has over EPS is that it can take multiple impacts but these new designs are ruining this by adding a shell, all just because people don't want to have their heads look like penises.

End of nonsense

Robust helmets are not really needed unless caving or going on an expedition to some frozen hell hole the most your helmet needs to withstand is the odd bump here and there so foam models are probably plenty durable for your needs, I rather like the petzl meteor and it can be bought for very cheap if you get a good sale but you would be happy with pretty much any modern lightweight helmet. Pick whichever's cheapest and if you have a chance try it on first.

Chris Graham · · Bartlett, NH · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 545

Loving my Mammut Wall Rider very much. I have heard that some have experienced cracking on the hard plastic shell but I've seen no damage to mine despite cramming it into small packs, loading cams and various hardware on top of it. Well ventilated, similar webbing harness to the Sirocco and Petzl Penta, so its very easy to adjust. Very comfortable and extremely low profile make it seem like you aren't wearing a helmet at all. Seemed I was constantly slamming my Sirocco on everything!!! I'd recommend this helmet to anyone. Very pleased!!!

Mike-Mayhem · · North Bend, WA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 70

My wall rider cracked on the backside after less than a year of use.. granted I am not gentle with it and have gotten a lot of use. It still functions fine though.

bottom line is I WOULD buy it again

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

I use a Black Diamond Vapor, which I love.  

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

The one that fits you. None of the fancy light helmets fit my head so I slum it with a BD Half Dome.

Luke Lindeman · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Spend the extra money and get a lighter, more ventilated helmet. BD Vapor is fantastic. I forget that I'm wearing it and it's so well vented. 

BomberBill · · California · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Another vote for the Vapor tried them all and the BD Vapor is the nuts. 

Kaihaku · · Kaneohe, Hawaii · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 15

I use a Petzl Alveo since it is also certified for use in industrial work at height, but it works great for climbing since it weighs about as much as an elios and has better suspension. My brother uses a meteor which is really nice but it like bkozak said you gotta get a size two unless you have a very small head.

ze dirtbag · · Tahoe · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 50

Are you looking for a crag helmet or an alpine helmet?

Do you mash it in your pack or Beverly Hillbilly it to the outside?

Plastics are the most durable/cheapest/most phallic.   Pick whichever suspension fits you head the best.

The BDs are light, but the hard foam cracks and doesn't stand up to everyday use/abuse

The Petzl Meteor/Sirocco are great

The Camp Storm is worthy of a look.   It's a pretty solid helmet for the weight.

Make sure you know how to adjust it properly.

Color will make a some difference on long sunny days (more or less depending on where you are climbing).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best helmet?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started