Mountain Project Logo

Mt Shasta (Casaval Ridge) 6/2 - 6/4

Original Post
Enrique Del Río Murtinho · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hey guys, I know this site is mainly for rock climbing, but I will give it a try:

Anyone interested in climb Shasta via Casaval Ridge the first weekend of June (I can do it anyday from friday to sunday)?? I have enough experience and the equipment, I can even lend some stuff like crampons and ice axe

Cheers!

Kevin Heinrich · · AMGA Rock Guide · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 286

I did the route many years ago in the fall. I understand it's a snow route and that it is mostly loose scree when not snow covered in summer. I'm sure you're aware but I thought I'd mention if not. Happy climbing!

khammer wrote:

I did the route many years ago in the fall. I understand it's a snow route and that it is mostly loose scree when not snow covered in summer. I'm sure you're aware but I thought I'd mention if not. Happy climbing!

Thanks for the advice! I already know about it, and I talked with a local guy who told me that with all the snowfall this year, the route should be in good conditions even in the early summer

Cheers!

Kevin Heinrich · · AMGA Rock Guide · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 286

Great! Enjoy, its a beautiful ridge.

Kevin Young · · NorCal · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Enrique,

I am interested. I have climbed the Avalanche Gulch route a couple of times several years ago but never the Casaval Ridge. I was up there over this past weekend and there is plenty of snow. What are your plans for getting down? Skiing avalanche gulch? 

Here's the info on avalanche gulch currently: http://shastaavalanche.org/general-route-description/avalanche-gulch

-Kevin

KevinYoung wrote:

Enrique,

I am interested. I have climbed the Avalanche Gulch route a couple of times several years ago but never the Casaval Ridge. I was up there over this past weekend and there is plenty of snow. What are your plans for getting down? Skiing avalanche gulch? 

Here's the info on avalanche gulch currently: http://shastaavalanche.org/general-route-description/avalanche-gulch

-Kevin

Hi Kevin, I just plan to "downclimb" (I don't know the exactly word in english). I have a rope to do some rapelling with the ice axe anchor technique, also I have some snow pickets 

Thank you for the web link!

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577
Enrique Del Río Murtinho wrote:

Hi Kevin, I just plan to "downclimb" (I don't know the exactly word in english). I have a rope to do some rapelling with the ice axe anchor technique, also I have some snow pickets 

Thank you for the web link!

I just climbed Casaval ridge yesterday. A few notes for you

-You will want to descend Avalanche Gulch, -- its much shorter, and an easy fast descent. There is no reason to down climb the ridge

-You will not need pro, a rope or a second ice tool. Its not a hard climb by any means

-The catwalk was very dangerous, recent rockfall and falling rime from ice above. If it remains in that condition I reccomend by-passing it and going onto the West face. 

C Brooks wrote:

I just climbed Casaval ridge yesterday. A few notes for you

-You will want to descend Avalanche Gulch, -- its much shorter, and an easy fast descent. There is no reason to down climb the ridge

-You will not need pro, a rope or a second ice tool. Its not a hard climb by any means

-The catwalk was very dangerous, recent rockfall and falling rime from ice above. If it remains in that condition I reccomend by-passing it and going onto the West face. 

Hi, thanks for the advice! Anyway I wanted to say downclimb the Avalance Gulch not skiing it.

Kevin Young · · NorCal · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Enrique,

The temps may be too high June 2-4, should be mid 80s to 90 degrees at the base of Shasta--maybe 20 degrees cooler higher up but too warm for my enjoyment?

-Kevin

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California Partners
Post a Reply to "Mt Shasta (Casaval Ridge) 6/2 - 6/4"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started