Mountain Project Logo

Snow conditions in June in the Tetons

Original Post
Kimberley Flores · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the spring snow has been like in the Tetons and/or when they typically dry out in the summer. It's been decades since I've climbed there and I may be going mid June. Thanks in advance! 

CTdave · · Victor, Id. · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 221

Expect alot of it.  Near record year and not much of it has moved.  Last week there was 8 new inches above 9000ft.  It looks like there will be snow for much of the season up high.  If you plan on leaving the canyons, crampons and an ice axe are a must.  Snow travel was minimal by mid june last year but my guess is thats not going to happen this year.  http://tetonclimbing.blogspot.com/.   Check out the march 13th post in that rangers link.  536" of snow!!! and that was 2 months ago! 

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Patrick Wilder · · Poncha Springs · Joined May 2015 · Points: 45

Hey all,

Planning a trip to the tetons at the beginning of July and thought I'd jump on this thread. How is the climber's ranch and what other camping options would you recommend? How easy is it to walk up and get a bunk? We are planning on doing a few routes on a few peaks over the course of 2 weeks or so so we just don't know exactly the dates we are going to be staying at the ranch and when we will be in the backcountry for reservation purposes. Thanks!

Garrett Collier · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 45

I was on Grand Teton last Wed/Thurs and will agree with what everyone has said so far.  100% snow above 9000 ft.  Ice axe is a must.  When I was there, it was warm and slushy enough that crampons were rarely necessary, but you would certainly want them with you. Additionally, the day after I came down, they got another 8+ inches.  The south facing climbs/ridges are pretty well exposed, but that's about it.

Here's a link to the trip report I just wrote with some photos.

Cheers,

Terrible Terry · · Pinedale,Wy · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 0

Patrick, You can't walk in for the climbers ranch only on line reservations unless its changed.

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 401
Terrible Terry wrote:

Patrick, You can't walk in for the climbers ranch only on line reservations unless its changed.

It's not widely publicized but last time I was there they said they do hold back a couple of spaces for walk-ins. But you'd need to get there early in the day.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Snow conditions in June in the Tetons"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started