Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite Memorial Weekend Beta

Original Post
Gavin Goerke · · Santa Barbara · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 15

Im planning on heading to the valley over memorial weekend, anyone have beta on what it will be like on such a popular weekend? Should I try to stay on some less popular climbs / stuff not in the supertopo? I lead up to 5.9, any route recommendations would be appreciated :)

Cameron Saul · · San Francisco · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 10

I think it's going to be mobbed.  Stick to stuff with long approaches and you should be fine.  The crowds are lazy :P  

Steve Maxey · · Merced, CA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 0

It will be a zoo. By 10:00a last weekend it was pretty much parked out, when I left at around noon it was probably a 45 minute wait to get in to the park.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

Positively 4th Street or maybe Absolutely Free.

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269
King Tut wrote:

Positively 4th Street or maybe Absolutely Free.

+1 for those. Confusing approach to Absolutely Free deters a lot of people. Positively 4th is quality, quick approach, no people, and there are some other moderates there too. 

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

The Valley is a horrible place to be on a long weekend. Its like being in LA traffic. 

Ed Henicle · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,369

I've been in the Valley the last few Memorial days - the crux is the car traffic. You do not want to be on the road from about noon to 8 pm - it can take an hour from El Cap Meadow to Curry Village. Come early, leave late,  take the bus,  be patient , or better yet - bring a bike.

We did Overhang Bypass 5.7 -  a fun adventure route - never saw a person all day

Have fun!

Gavin Goerke · · Santa Barbara · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 15

Cool thank you guys!

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Yosemite Memorial Weekend Beta"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started