Mountain Project Logo

Shuteye Ridge access?

Original Post
Connor Gibson · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Curious how access is this year after so much snow. I see from Mike Arichega's May 2016 post that all roads were open around this time, when there was relatively little snow.

specifially, I'm wondering about roads that lead to 

1- Big Sleep area ("black" area in the Doe book)

2 - Gray & Red Eagle (red area)

3 - High eagle & ampitheater (blue area)

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

There is still snow on top of Big sleep, the road is open, but I do not know its condition. If you go, have 4WD, and bring a chain saw to clear down trees.

Grey Eagle/Red eagle - same road is open, but its pretty washed out. You might have to walk. There is still a ton of snow there, I saw it from Chiquito Dome a 2 weeks ago, you could probably snowboard the walk-off. Some things might be climbable, but its north facing, 

High Eagle - I also saw it from Chiquito. Lots of snow up there still. Beasore rd. has snow about 8 miles up. You might be able to get through it, depends on your vehicle, and when you plan to go. 

You could for sure reach any of the crags, if you are willing to walk ~ 1-2 hours. 

Queen's Throne - April 29th

High Eagle - April 29th

Grey Eagle et al. April 29

Very helpful, much appreciated!

Steven Cabrales · · Fresno · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Just got back from shuteye yesterday. Lots of trees down on the drive in, however still doable with a high clearance 4WD vehicle. Snow on Big sleep and the right side of dreamscape. It was an adventure for us hiking in as much of the road is still snowed over.

Steven Cabrales wrote:

Just got back from shuteye yesterday. Lots of trees down on the drive in, however still doable with a high clearance 4WD vehicle. Snow on Big sleep and the right side of dreamscape. It was an adventure for us hiking in as much of the road is still snowed over.

How was the climbing? Think it's worth it, if the ultimate goal is to get some decent time on the walls? Adventure is fine w me as long as it's not futile.

(We have 4-5 days, and we've been to Dreamscape area before)

C Brooks wrote:

There is still snow on top of Big sleep, the road is open, but I do not know its condition. If you go, have 4WD, and bring a chain saw to clear down trees.

Grey Eagle/Red eagle - same road is open, but its pretty washed out. You might have to walk. There is still a ton of snow there, I saw it from Chiquito Dome a 2 weeks ago, you could probably snowboard the walk-off. Some things might be climbable, but its north facing, 

High Eagle - I also saw it from Chiquito. Lots of snow up there still. Beasore rd. has snow about 8 miles up. You might be able to get through it, depends on your vehicle, and when you plan to go. 

You could for sure reach any of the crags, if you are willing to walk ~ 1-2 hours. 

Follow up Q: did you climb? Did you enjoy it?

We're down for adventure if there is climbing to be had. 

We've camped in the high eagle / ampitheater area before, as well as the Lost Eagle area by the swimming hole.

I climbed Chiquito Dome this season, but nothing else. Its dry, no problem getting to it. Its a nice back-up if you can't get up to Grey Eagle area. 

I believe currently you can get within 1-2 miles of Big Sleep before hitting problems on the road. You could walk in.  Milky way Wall is before Big Sleep, you might be able to get in there. It has some darn good climbing. 

I have climbed Big sleep early season before, and there is often water running in the runnels. You can avoid it, but if having a small stream on a climb is not your thing, you might want to wait until later in the season for that slab. 

When are you going? I think High Eagle and Lost Eagle might be hard to get to right now, but the snow will melt fast, by Memorial Day it might be fine, it will be hard to predict.

We're looking at this weekend, hoping for less people (sounds guaranteed!). So many areas are still wet or snowy!

Madalene Earp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
Connor Gibson wrote:

We're looking at this weekend, hoping for less people (sounds guaranteed!). So many areas are still wet or snowy!

Curious to hear the report

This was posted to SIerra National Forest Facebook page
Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

C Brooks.....    Thanks for posting that. One photo is worth a 1,000,000 posts.

Kwyn Sunagawa · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Also curious, looking forward to maybe a long weekend there. Please report back! 

Steven Cabrales · · Fresno · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Dreamscape and Queen's throne were looking pretty good! Did some bouldering/scrambling around and it seemed fine. Those granite plates are something else thats all I can say!

Kwyn Sunagawa · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Did you get to climb them at all? did the seem dry enough?

Jay Bird · · Marin, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,136

Any updates on access? Was going to head there later this week. 

Jay Bird · · Marin, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,136

This past weekend we went up Beasore Rd. from Bass lake. Got shut down shortly after the junction with Central Camp Rd. in both directions (going north on Beasore and going east on Central Camp). Lots of snow patches on road especially in the shaded areas. Drove all the way around on Mammoth Pool Rd. and got into the "red" area. Some good climbing there but only accessible with a high clearance 4WD. Looks like pretty much all snow is melted out on that side with the exceptions of very small snow patches here and there. 

There is also a good conditions update for the road situation on Supertopo. Looks like I'll be walkking a lot this season from my Subaru

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Shuteye Ridge access?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started