Mountain Project Logo

Aftermarket/knockoff batteries?

Original Post
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Has anyone used these on a 36v Bosch. I've had good luck with the ones I use for my home tools in Porter Cable. I've also had good luck with knockoff camera batteries. I know my big ol Bosch is a much higher level and more expensive tool though. 

No links because there are literally hundreds of examples on Amazon and eBay.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:

Has anyone used these on a 36v Bosch. I've had good luck with the ones I use for my home tools in Porter Cable. I've also had good luck with knockoff camera batteries. I know my big ol Bosch is a much higher level and more expensive tool though. 

No links because there are literally hundreds of examples on Amazon and eBay.

Anyone have any experience with these?

I've been curious about the same thing in the past.  Haven't done it out of fear of somehow damaging the Bosch (though I'm guessing the probability of that is quite low).  Just curious about what other replies show up here.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Bump. I'd reallylike to get some opinions here.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

No experience with aftermarket drill batteries.  But I've used aftermarket large Lipo batteries for RC planes (6 cell - 22 volt, weighs about 2 lbs so similar to a drill battery).  $50 knockoffs from China versus $200 name brand, from China. 

They work fine, but as you'd expect they have less power, don't last as long per charge, and seem to burn out sooner. 

Compared to a better battery,  I don't worry about damage to the planes electronics, but do worry about crashing due to battery failure.  Damage risk would be a Non-issue with a drill I would guess.

Glenn Ritter · · Sugarhouse, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,510

I have one original bosch battery and two aftermarket ones which seem to be generic batteries from china.   They all perform about the same, at least as best as I can tell.   Performance is more linked to the the rock type and size holes I'm drilling.   I did buy one larger aftermarket battery which I really like because I can get 30+ 3/8 holes out of it (I basically never use it all in a before I have access to recharge it) but when drilling 1/2" x 5" holes I still get somewhere around a dozen or more in decent rock.    I'm guessing I'm about 500 bolts into my 3 batteries combined and they are all going fine.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 62

I've had good luck with AtBatt.com .  When both of the 18v NiCad batteries that came with my trusty old Dewalt drill had finally died, I bought a Lithium battery from AtBatt.  I think it cost me about $40 including shipping compared to about $90 for the OEM Dewalt replacements.  A couple of years on, and that aftermarket battery is still doing great, although it doesn't get the same workout in my workshop that a tradesman would demand of it.  Still, I even use the original NiCad charger to charge the lithium battery, with no ill effects.  The drill's even stronger with the higher current that the lithium battery can deliver.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Aftermarket/knockoff batteries?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started