Mountain Project Logo

3P Tents

Original Post
Andy Spellmeyer · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

So I'm replacing my Marmot Limelight 3P soon, due to my dog ripping a giant hole in the bug mesh ):  This is my second Limelight in about 6 years. I really like the tent, it holds up in high winds and keeps the rain out, just generally a well-built tent. I use this tent primarily for car-camping, but have also used it for backcountry camping several times (incl. winter). I was thinking of just buying the newest model of Limelight, but I'm thinking I may want to try another brand. Looking for a nice even medium between sturdiness, weight, and packability. I see that the MSR Elixir 3P is around the same price, but I've never owned a MSR tent. 

The only brand I really want to stay away from is Big Agnes. I have a 2P BA and have had to send it back twice now due to broken poles. It's just too flimsy for car-camping. What suggestions can you guys offer? 

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

The new sierra design flashes are pretty nice.  Costly at MSRP, but if you can find them on sale they are great.  I use one of those and a Marmot Ajax which is basically a two door limelight. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Don't mean to be Mr. Obvious but you do know you can get mosquito net replaced, right?

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015
AndrewArroz wrote:

Don't mean to be Mr. Obvious but you do know you can get mosquito net replaced, right?

Yup!  One time a bear was sniffing at my tent (an old REI half dome) and when I got up to see what the noise was, I scared him and he bit down on my fly and ran through the campsite the rainfly in his mouth.  When I retrieved it maybe 100 feet away, I noticed a giant gash in the side which I fixed with a sewing machine.  It obviously lacks some water repelling qualities, but I still use that same tent quite often.  That happened about 10 years ago by Rae lakes in the sierras. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I have a friend with a tent with a perfectly patched labrador-shaped hole in the side.

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

As others say....Sew it back together :)

It's not a waterproof barrier so you won't have to worry about sealing, and it's unlikely to be a structural element so weakening isn't a consideration. Fabric also has a bit of stretch so losing some to the join isn't a big deal.

My bargin basement sewing machine with some attempts eventually sews mesh to mesh. It's not a big deal to screw up the sewing, since it's already full of holes.

Lacking a machine hand sewing will be viable too.

Nate D · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 950

Just got 2x hillberg Nammajt 3 for work, super sturdy tent, expect they'll last a looooong time.  Also got a Keron 4 GT and that thing is a palace.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "3P Tents"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started