Mountain Project Logo

Sabretooth pro balling issues?

Original Post
Ryan Nichols · · Nashville, TN · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 5

Just got done from getting a firm introduction to the alaska range.  Had a few steep snow leads that should have been reasonably casual turn super scary when my crampons started collecting softball size chunks of snow.  My partner's petzl crampons didn't have any issues at all.  Anybody else had this problem with black diamond sabretooth pro's?  Anything i can do to sort it out short of buying new spikes?

Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 35

Asking the dumb questions first - did you have the anti-balling plates installed? 

Fair question. Yeah, they come on them when you buy them (bought mine barely used but I'm 99% sure they are installed before they ship new).  I've found a few other folks online complaining of the same problem. I guess it just is what it is. Would love to hear of something i could spray or wipe on the plates to keep snow from sticking. It was super dangerous at times. 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I have had issues with balling. I also have issues with my Cassin Blade Runner. Both crampons have the anti balling plates in. It seems like the temp needs to be just the right temperature for it to be a problem though. Just warm enough to the snow soft, but cold enough that the crampons stay cold, especially if I've been ice climbing. Seems to make the snow ball up and stick.

Yeah i was just enviously watching my partners petzl (lynx?) stay totally clean in the same conditions. 

Glen Prior · · Truckee, Ca · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I have experienced the same problem with those crampons. They have serrated teeth that may contribute to the problem. However I have friends with different 'pons that have experienced the same issue. Silicon spray at the trailhead has always resolved it for me.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Sabretooth pro balling issues?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started