Mountain Project Logo

New Mobile App

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

Today we released a complete overhaul of the mobile app for iOS (Android will be a couple months).  We've been using it internally for a month or so and are pretty psyched.  

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mountain-project/id452308783?ls=1&mt=8

New Features:

• Search engine that covers every climb and area in the database
  • Data is downloaded by state (not local area) AND is has been heavily optimized for size
  • The "Near Me" button on the home page is a super quick way to get to your current climbing location
  • The mapping is greatly improved, making it easier to find your route
  • A "Route Finder" exists for every area, like the web's "Best Routes for You" feature
  • Ticks and To-Dos are organized by location

With all major changes, there might be issues.  Please report and we'll take a look.

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

Outstanding! Look forward to seeing the android iteration!

Dirtbag Dre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

As one of those dirtbag climbers, luckily I've got a lot of time because this is going to take a lot of getting used too. 

rob bauer · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 3,929

Is there a setting which shows the drawn routes on the photos?  As an example, Furlough Day has my photo, but the route and bolts don't show up on the new app.

Russ Moore · · Littleton, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 55

What's the chance of getting the  bookmark feature added back to the app so we don't have to go searching/drill down for specific areas and routes each time? I found this feature really useful in the older version. The other updates look good!

rob bauer wrote:

Is there a setting which shows the drawn routes on the photos?  As an example, Furlough Day has my photo, but the route and bolts don't show up on the new app.

We call these "topo photos" and that's a bug.  I just fixed it.  You'll need to remove that state and download it again.  Thanks for the report and sorry for the hassle!

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

Won't let me download photos from my specific areas. Keeps repeating download error. Retry. I've deleted my state and redownloaded. Still not working. 

Deleted app and reinstalled. I can't get photos for anything. I Should not have downloaded the new app before this weekend. 

Also, when looking at a specific route, one that I used the search for, it seems you can't back out from that climb to its area and see other climbs. I see that you can swipe left or right to nearby climbs but not to areas nearby. 

Ricky Lambert · · Denver · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

I don't like that you made it so that I can't photos for large areas, such as boulder canyon, but instead have to select each crag I want photos from. What if I'm out and decide to check out a new crag on the fly and don't have phone service? Then I won't be able to get the photos, which are helpful for identifying routes. Modern phones have big enough storage that storing the pics isn't a concern. 

Also, the photo downloads aren't working at all right now. I can't even get photos to appear without trying to download them. I was going to check out a new area today, but now I'm gonna have to go somewhere else. 

Kenny Minogue · · Charleston, SC · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0
Ricky Lambert wrote:

Also, the photo downloads aren't working at all right now. I can't even get photos to appear without trying to download them...

Not working for me either. 

Love the route finder on mobile. Awesome update after some bugs get squished!

Curly kN · · Austin, TX · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 85

I am also having trouble downloading any photos.

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

Also, giving me error message when downloading full area photos. 

chris vultaggio · · The Gunks · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 535

More feedback:  ticks are not showing up.

Mike F · · Arden, NC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 56

Yep, I have three ticks total..what happened to everything else?

Christopher Kelly · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 443

Perhaps I'm missing it, but it seems like it's forcing me to download entire states rather than specific areas like the old app let me. I downloaded California, Colorado, and Nevada, and my phone's space was all used up, forcing me to delete all but one state. Thanks much

Joe Cappiello · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 0

Just accessed the new app.  Little bit of a bummer that I have to download 5 states worth of data and pics, again.  Also will not allow me to download photos in large batches by area.  Can you only download photos individually or by crag now?

• Photos should be fixed.  You will need to delete data packs and re-download them.  This mostly affects Android, since the new iOS version that was release Friday uses different code.
  • About bookmarks, we feel the improvements to To-Dos, that are sorted by location right from the home screen, serves that purpose well and integrates to the web site.  Bookmarks seemed highly redundant.  We appreciate the feedback and welcome more.

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

what a ridiculous amt of clicks to gain access to an area, 

add Bookmarks back please.

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Lot of crap; gets harder and harder to get to the routes with every "upgrade". Pretty typical of software.

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270
Nick Wilder wrote:
  • Photos should be fixed.  You will need to delete data packs and re-download them.  This mostly affects Android, since the new iOS version that was release Friday uses different code.
  • About bookmarks, we feel the improvements to To-Dos, that are sorted by location right from the home screen, serves that purpose well and integrates to the web site.  Bookmarks seemed highly redundant.  We appreciate the feedback and welcome more.

the to-do's take you to a route.  The book marks would take you to an area.  So great if you add to-do routes before you go out (which often evolve when you get there) but you still have to wander through backwards to get to areas, or click a to-do to launch you to the area then go backwards to find another wall in the area.  It's annoying from a user-persopective. MANY people said that.  But you're comment implies that you guys feel it's fine and seamless.  SO WHY ASK WHAT WE THINK IF THE DEVELOPERS ARE CONTENT WITH THE UPDATE?  I 100% wish I never updated the app.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "New Mobile App"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started