Mountain Project Logo

Anyone have a full rack stolen?

Original Post
John S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I was at a flea market in Santa Cruz , California and bought a full rack of gear for a ridiculously good price.  It included a guide book from Boulder canyon and the flat irons. So I'm just checking the Colorado area.  There were a kids harness and shoes as part of it so I'm suspecting a home robbery.  Please contact me if this sounds familiar.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

Wow, that would be way cool and random if you found the owners.  Good luck.

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 270

How much was the "ridiculously good price" ?  

...asking for a friend.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

How much did you pay per cam

Dan Vinson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 40

My buddy Michael had his whole rack stolen in Boulder last fall. I'd be interested to see what was in what you bought. I'll send him the forum thread.

His post from the unfortunate incident:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/111978324/car-broken-into-and-climbing-gear-stolen

George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 62

Someone in San Francisco posted a while back about his truck getting broken into and his rack stolen: https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/111836600/trad-climbing-gear-stolen-in-san-francisco

Super good karma to you for asking around.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Interesting thread but my sense of skepticism keeps knocking.  New user.  Bought what he believed to be stolen gear.  Probably will want to be reimbursed for his purchase.  

Are threads like this the new way to launder stolen gear?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Fat Dad wrote:

Interesting thread but my sense of skepticism keeps knocking.  New user.  Bought what he believed to be stolen gear.  Probably will want to be reimbursed for his purchase.  

I like your cynicism. Reminds me of me. It is possible he's just trying to do the right thing.  

John S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

George Wu.  Thanks for the lead.  It might work out,we'll see.  The rope type is right.  As for the cynicism from other posters, I understand it.  Being part of reuniting a person with lost gear is way more valuable to me than the money I would make selling it.  Think of the insane amount of Karma points I'd rack up. It may make up for a poorly placed piece of pro somewhere down the line.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

That would be crazy if it went from Boulder to CA.  

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Scott McMahon wrote:

That would be crazy if it went from Boulder to CA.  

What do you mean? There's a vortex that runs directly FROM Boulder to the Santa Cruz Flea Market.

Fat Dad wrote:

Uh, why would someone call attention to the gear being stolen rather than just parting it out and selling on eBay? I think your skepticism is misplaced.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60
AndrewArroz wrote:

Uh, why would someone call attention to the gear being stolen rather than just parting it out and selling on eBay? I think your skepticism is misplaced.

You understand how laundering works, right?  You create a story to make ill gotten goods legitimate.  

John S, sorry to question you.  If this is legit, then my sincere apologies in advance.  To everyone else, caveat emptor.  

I understand how laundering works. I just don't think there's an issue with "laundering" stolen climbing gear. Guy is trying to get an entire rack back to someone. It would be trivial to just piece it off bit by bit between here and eBay and be done with it. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Anyone have a full rack stolen?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started