Mountain Project Logo

Well deserved lead fall.

Original Post
Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505

I'm surprised that this guy didn't fall sooner, his sticks were just so bad it hurt me. People like this are the reason I drink.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Wow, painful to watch! And that does not look at all like WI3 to me. I'd never move up on a lot of those sticks... bad deal all around, but at least he landed in snow.  

Slogger · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 80

He climbs like the kind of guy who would call a 10' waterfall WI3. I almost shouted at my computer when he matched on that wobbly tool.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
Slogger wrote:

He climbs like the kind of guy who would call a 10' waterfall WI3.

Is naming steps like that really a thing?

Good thing there was a screw in 18" above the snow ledge. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

He's brave to post that. Maybe that's his testpiece!

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505

My question is how the hell he is so out of shape, literally as soon as he steps off the ground he was out of breath.

Matt Carroll · · Van · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 249

@2:30 "yo that's actually like a great fall to take man" wtf....??? 

Aaron Guillotte · · Boston · Joined May 2016 · Points: 15

I watch this video once a week. So many questions, so many mistakes. I'm only really commenting because I believe this deserves a bump, ha.

Matt Stroebel · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 115

Really glad I watched the credits. I had so many questions, then I saw that they called themselves "Stonewall" and "The Muscle". It's like the cast of jersey shore went ice climbing.

James Schroeder · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2002 · Points: 3,166

What did I just watch, twice?

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Burcheydawwwwwwg wrote:

Deud... didn't you know .... Adams MooRAD than u! From what I heard he solo'd everything in Woodson barefoot and ....chalk-less

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
BigB wrote:

Deud... didn't you know .... Adams MooRAD than u! From what I heard he solo'd everything in Woodson barefoot and ....chalk-less

I'm the least rad duuuuude around, braj.

I figure I'll be banned shortly, that's the normal recipe:

1. Somebody is an idiot online

2. I spend 2 seconds searching for their public social media and reference it

3. Banned

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95

That's got to be some of the lamest ice climbing I've ever seen.  How tall is that pillar? then feet maybe?  But with a little practice, Lake Willoughby is right around the corner.

Ian Lauer · · Yakima, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 15

I believe if you read the video description it states they were climbing all day and this was the last climb. He states in the description that he got pumped quickly on worn out arms and then tried to power through instead of back off. 

I can't comment on how hard that is, because I am not an ice climber, but I have experienced end of day pump on easy trad leads and know the feeling. 

You people are too quick to judge

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525
Idaho-Ian wrote:

I believe if you read the video description it states they were climbing all day and this was the last climb. He states in the description that he got pumped quickly on worn out arms and then tried to power through instead of back off. 

I can't comment on how hard that is, because I am not an ice climber, but I have experienced end of day pump on easy trad leads and know the feeling. 

but in that situation do you press on with no gear and then deck from 20 feet

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
Idaho-Ian wrote:

I get what you're saying, but to put it in context with something you're familiar with. If this were a rock climbing video it would be of someone taking an 8 ft. fall after getting pumped out on a 5.3. True, you could be just that pumped but... Not sure why he made, published, and sent a video of it to Rock and Ice. Technique is REALLY bad and it's just lacking in any real substance beyond how not to swing an ice tool. p.s. if you're that pumped you don't keep leading ice, you call it a day. 

gspup · · Sweet Ridge, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

p.s. if you're that pumped you don't keep leading ice, you call it a day. 

This. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Ian, I know that the criticism in this topic seems harsh, but ice climbing is NOT rock climbing.  From what I can tell, this is extremely easy ice - something that many ice climbers would solo.  You just don't push into the pump on ice, and I still can't figure out how this guy got pumped anyway!

Nick Sweeney wrote:

Ian, I know that the criticism in this topic seems harsh, but ice climbing is NOT rock climbing.  From what I can tell, this is extremely easy ice - something that many ice climbers would solo.  You just don't push into the pump on ice, and I still can't figure out how this guy got pumped anyway!

Lol at all you ice-elitist. I've climbed ice, I'm not ignorant. I just don't do it enough to call myself an iceclimber. You can get just as hurt climbing rock or alpine too. 

All I'm trying to say is that you all are hating on a guy who had the courage to admit he messed up and walked away from it. That is made clear by him in the video description.

That's kinda messed up for y'all to keep bagging on him.

Nathanael wrote:

but in that situation do you press on with no gear and then deck from 20 feet

No, I didn't say that and neither did the video author. It was clearly stated by him he should have backed off.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Well deserved lead fall."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started