Mountain Project Logo

LOST: Two 70m ropes on Kor-Ingalls route, Castleton Tower

Original Post
Jeffrey Ashear · · Spokane, WA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 10

Hello all,

Did the most excellent Kor-Ingalls route on Castleton Tower on April 30th, 2017.  We got benighted, the rope got stuck and we were wiped out.  We had to be back in CO the next day, so there was no way to go back and check with the next day's teams.  Anyone seen a pair of 9.8 70m's joined with a double fisherman's ( one green sterling and the other ared-white-blue mammut) dangling from the top of P1?  Please let me know if you have any info.  I'd ever so happily reward a kind climber willing to help get these great ropes back to their rightful owners.  Many thanks and have fun everyone! 

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300
tradvlad · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 5

Hi Jeff, as of Saturday, May 6th, your ropes were still on Castleton. Threaded through P1 chains, unstuck, and running all they way to the ground. Hope you get them back somehow.

khoa · · Tacomarado · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 53

Hey guys im in moab right now, driving back to the front range tomorrow. Get in touch with me and i can make sure they get back to Jeff safely

Thank you all so much!  I'm pretty sure those are mine if they fit the description...  If either khoa or aikibujin can bring them back to Colorado, I'll make arrangements to pick them up and repay you for your very helpful efforts.  Much appreciation!

Maynard · · Lisbon, ct · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1

Is it safe to say, " Don't rap kor ingalls because there is a very good chance your rope will get stuck?"?

Rachel Johnson · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Yes, I'd say never rap Kor Ingalls! My partner and I also got a rope stuck and were thankful those two ropes were on the last rap so we could get down! 

Helen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Hi, I found those ropes, and we got them down and coiled them and put them at the bottom of the route. For future reference, thread the ropes through the very bottom of the chains so they hang over the lip. If your rope knot is laying flat and the ropes run over the rock edge they will be impossible to pull - your ropes weren't even stuck, the rap was just set up wrong.
- Helenclimbs.

Hello again all.  I really appreciate the advice, and especially the work of Helen (who kindly got the ropes down and coiled them at the base), and aikibujin (who hiked to the base, collected the ropes, and brought them all the way back to Golden, CO on his way home through the front range).  What an amazing community.  I'm so grateful to be a part of it.  Much gratitude!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Also - stop using the dbl fishermans.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "LOST: Two 70m ropes on Kor-Ingalls route, Castl…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started