Mountain Project Logo

Beta for the Tombstone Range in the Yukon

Original Post
Helen Johnson · · Lander, WY · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Hello! Anyone out there have any beta, topos, what not relating to Tombstone Territorial Park in the Yukon.?! Any help would be appreciated, having trouble finding beta on the net, or here in Haines.

Thanks!!

Suz Zak · · NY, NY · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 50

Omg go! It's amazing! The locals will help you! And hitch hiking up there is rad. Love the Dempster Highway. I used to spend every Summer in the Yukon. This was in my pre-climbing life. Did a lot of that other hobby... walking... backpacking. Sadly, I don't have much climbing beta, but if you want to PM me

Couldn't figure out how to PM (yikes) , but thanks for the response! Do you think there would be climbing information in Dawson, or Whitehorse? What time of year did you go, and what were the temps?

I usually always aimed to be in Dawson before Summer Solstice. I would stay as late as the first week of September. The weather fluctuates a lot but with all the hours of sun it gets warm. However, permafrost is real. Rain and wind in the Tombstones is real. First snow in my experience could be in mid-August. Whitehorse was travel purgatory for me so I always tried to get out out of there as quickly as possible, but the population is larger. There's also a really good book store there that might have climbing guides. Dawson is way closer to where you'll be going though. I remember trying to do a lot of research before I went the first time and had a hard time. I got there, and everything fell into place. I know that's vague advice but it's just one of those places...

Markuso · · Fernie · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 95

From what I've heard the rock is pretty crap.  The backpacking and scenery in Tombstone is unbeatable though, I've made 4 trips back there.  I believe there's some cragging near Dawson, and plenty around Whitehorse.  You might have better luck posting on the ACC Yukon Facebook page for more beta, I do know there's been a few people who've headed up there to attempt Tombstone and Monolith.

Thanks for your response. Great info.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Beta for the Tombstone Range in the Yukon"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started