Mountain Project Logo

AZ destination recommendations

Original Post
Jamie G. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

We have a group searching for a good destination for a Spring 2018 trip.  We're hoping to come to the Arizona area, but want to make it worth the travel.  Mixed group of climbers, primarily climbing 5.8-5.9 (sport) routes.  Where would you recommend as a destination with enough routes to keep us busy for 4-5 days of climbing?  Can be one spot or several within short driving distance.

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

Arizona is a big state so you need to narrow down what areas you are thinking. Tucson and the rest of the south is alright in Spring but it does get warm.  Mt Lemmon has some sport climbs in that YDS range but not enough concentrated in one crag to make it worth the trip.  There are some sport crags in Cochise county but I don't think they are going to be worthwhile for 5.8-5.9.

Jamie G. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

We will be flying into Phoenix, so hopefully within a 1-2 hour drive. Mt. Lemmon was on the list of possible options, so is Queen Creek Canyon right now.

Daniel Heins · · Seattle · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 1,254

I lead a group at Queen Creek Canyon this past  spring and there's definitely enough ciimbing to stay busy for a week. At QCC, Atlantis and the Pond are two good locations, but if you have four wheel drive and are willing to have a bit of an approach, Lower Devil's Canyon is really great.  I know there were 9s for sure at all of them, not sure how many though (or how many 8s for that matter).  

Cory Tallman · · San Tan Valley, Arizona · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 135

If you're looking for moderate sport routes Queen Creek is the place to go. You can camp up by Oak Flat and its a five minute drive to Upper Devil's, Northern Devils, The Pond, or Atlantis. All of them are fun sports crags with enough routes to keep you busy. There's also sports routes near the campsite; along with some bouldering. I wouldn't recommend Lower Devil's, as it's mostly trad climbing, and a high clearance vehicle is definitely necessary to get back there. Also, if you're flying into Phoenix, it'd be a good idea to swing buy the local REI or the Hiking Shack and pick up the Marty Maps for the areas you plan on climbing. They're extremely useful up at Queen Creek.

Kemper Brightman · · The Old Pueblo, AZ · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 2,971

This time of year Lemmon has a lot to offer. if its cold stay low, if its hot go high. Lots of camping too. Plenty of crags to keep you occupied for a week in that grade range. If you're flying in/out of phoenix, I'd head to Lemmon first, then stop by Queen Creek on your way back. Let me know if you end up coming this way, and I'll send you some recommendations. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "AZ destination recommendations"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started