Mountain Project Logo

Bouldering near Watkins Glen?

Original Post
Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

My wife and I are taking a road trip up to the Finger Lakes for our 5 year anniversary.  We'll be staying near Watkins Glen, and from what I've heard, there is no good climbing around that area.  The place we're staying at will let us bring our dog.  This isn't a climbing trip, so we're not looking to spend an extra 5+ hours to drive out to the Gunks (nor would I want to coop my dog up in the car more than we need to). 

I was just wondering if that area of NY was really a vast void of bouldering sites as I've been led to believe.  We'll be hiking a lot, but I'd like to know if it's even worth bringing our gear 

Pascal Liddane · · Nashua · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 55

Yea it's pretty void of climbing in general becides ice in winter 

Is it that there are no boulders to climb or that the area are closed off to climbing.  I'm not about ruining it for all of us, but it's hard to imagine that an area with a giant hole in the ground doesn't have any climbing

Jim Lawyer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 6,116

Baba Fats: Unfortunately, it's the worst rock imaginable. Seriously bad.

cals08 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

Blue run rocks in Pa, is relatively close.

Generalpoopface · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 40

I would say the closest places if you don't mind spending a couple hours in the car would be as mentioned earlier Blue Run Rocks.  Also about 2 hours 40min away is little falls for top rope and if you wanna bring your passports head to Niagara Glenn on the Canadian side for some good bouldering.  I lived in Rochester NY for 3+ years so yeah...everything in that area is a drive to get somewhere unfortunately.

Thanks for the recommendations.  We're not looking to drive that far on this trip.  Probably just stick to hiking

Jim Lawyer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 6,116

Baba Fats -- I sent you a PM with an option.

Thanks.  I saw it.  Right now we're just into bouldering, so we'll just stick with our original plans

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Bouldering near Watkins Glen?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.