Mountain Project Logo

Solo big wall questions

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981
Scott Redding wrote:

It's going to be quite the undertaking, October sounds good I was just worried about rain, had bad luck in the valley in October.

When I soloed Tribal Right via New Dawn, I left the ground with 12-13 gallons of water in my pig. With my 2:1, it was still very exhausting to haul it the first three or four pitches. I topped out with an extra gallon and a half but I sat through a lightning storm and refilled about a gallon during the deluge. 2 pitches a day without a lot of soloing under your belt is probably going to be your max for a full day when factoring in all of the rope-issues, haulbag hangups and just plain weight, rapping back to the belay for random stuff, setting up the portaledge from a hanging bivy in the dark with exhausted sun-baked muscles and random open wounds, etc. 

Trevor · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 830

Since Silent Partner procurement is a topic of discussion in this thread, I'll mention that I've got a SP I'm willing to sell for $250 shipped. No falls, just the usual scratches from being dragged up an awkward corner or two. Not quite as clean as the eBay one but I'd trust it every bit as much.

Edit: sold

Drew Spaulding · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,885

When I soloed Zodiac in 1994, it seemed like one of the best options any where for dialing in your solo systems. Mostly because your haulbag will never touch the wall!! Super reasonable, free hanging hauling conditions makes things a lot easier for a "training wall". 14- 15 pitches,,, 3- 5 night's on route!! I used a Soloist and it worked well for me... chest harness and back up knots required.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Solo big wall questions "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started