Mountain Project Logo

Guides for Tennessee

Original Post
kachoong · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 180

I'm relatively new to Atlanta and my wife and I are wanting to get up to Chattanooga for some routes before the summer kicks in. We already have the Craggers Atlas for GA/AL but need something that covers Chatt.

Any recommendations on where I can get either the Craggers Atlas Vol 2 or Chatt Steel and that won't break the bank? I'm seeing some crazy prices. Even if it's slightly beat up.

We'll probably like to visit Foster Falls first, for a day trip (which is why I'm searching for Chatt Steel), but then probably T-Wall after that. Is the Chatt Trad good for T-Wall or should I grab the Tennessee Wall guide by Robinson instead? Although very useful, we'd like more than the free online guides.

Any advice welcome.

Dave

Matt Swaim · · SLC · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 61

Chatt Trad is good for T-Wall...But it's going to be hot up there.

Thanks Matt, yeah I was browsing the route DB and seems like T-Wall will have to wait until Fall. I think Foster is our priority for the meantime.

Andy Million · · Murfreesboro TN · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 65

I'm guessing the DC and Chatt Steel are in between printings? Bummer. Check your local gear shops or gear shops in Chattanooga, they may have the guidebooks in stock. Both are good, so grab whichever.

Rakkup has Foster Falls, which should be good until the next printing occurs.

https://rakkup.com/guidebooks/foster-falls-rock-climbing/

Good to know. Thanks Andy! I may check with a few stores. I'm guessing the Rakkup app gives the added bonus of the exact location of the route over just having the MP app? This may be something I download if I cannot source a book.

Thanks again! Appreciate it.

Nickaccard · · Brevard, NC · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hey kachoong, sent you a PM!

Nick

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

ChattSteel will be best for Foster Falls. T-wall is definitely out of season at this point.  Chattsteel is still around at gear shops, I'm sure i've seen it recently in the Birmingham Area. 

badcarp · · Ooltewah, TN · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

http://www.drtopo.com/north-america/united-states/tennessee/foster-falls/foster-falls.pdf

Download the link. It's a bit old but better than nothing. If you're paranoid about links, I'll email you the attachment.

Max Scott · · Cookeville, TN · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

If anyone needs a copy of either ChattSteel or ChattTrad, Outdoor Experience in Cookeville, TN has several copies of each. I believe they're both $40.

If someone is really looking for a copy PM me and I can always mail out one.

This is great to know, Max, thanks! I may contact you in the next few weeks if I can't locate one (ChattSteel).

Thanks!

Max Scott wrote:
Jason Eberhard · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 111
Andy Million wrote:

I'm guessing the DC and Chatt Steel are in between printings? Bummer. Check your local gear shops or gear shops in Chattanooga, they may have the guidebooks in stock. Both are good, so grab whichever.

Rakkup has Foster Falls, which should be good until the next printing occurs.

https://rakkup.com/guidebooks/foster-falls-rock-climbing/

+1 For the Rakkup Foster Falls digital guidebook.  If you've never checked this out its very good for Fosters.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Guides for Tennessee "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started