Mountain Project Logo

First time at City of Rocks plus late night arrival

Original Post
Seth Derr · · harrisburg, pa · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 2,260

Hi friends.  Trying to research an upcoming trip to City of Rocks and found a lot of good info on here but wondering if someone with experience in the area can answer a couple specific questions for me.  Feel free to PM if you want or just answer here it doesn't matter.  It's my first time in the area and originally we were going to get there at a decent time but our flight got bumped back and now we aren't landing in SLC until 11p.m.  So by the time we get the rental car and make the drive our arrival time will be roughly 3 a.m.  It looks like there's a lot of free BLM camping in the area, but with getting in so late I don't want to be driving around aimlessly looking for a place to park bothering everyone who's already sleeping.  Can anyone direct me to the best place to go given that situation?  We land on Wed night, June 7 if that makes a difference. Just renting a car so not planning on having 4WD or high clearance. Looked into reserving a camp site but not sure how that would work with getting in so late, plus the cheapskate in me has a problem paying for a site I might not get to until damn near daylight. 

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757

Suggest reserving a campsite on ReserveAmerica.com.  Act fast if you want one, most are reserved already at the City.  A close by alternative is Castle Rock State Park, but few are left there. If you don't want to pay for camping, take the main road into the City, up the road to Breadloaves parking on the left at the top.  There is a large area there for groups and on a Wednesday might be fairly open.  Camp there and the leave early before the camp host comes around.  Then, leaving the parking area turn left on the main road and then take your first right.  There are two official campsites up that road.  Continue past them for a few miles until reaching a forested area.  Good camping there.  No water but that's available at the Bath Rock parking lot.  Would not recommend making that drive in the dark.  Have fun, the City is great.  Don't miss the pizza at Rock City.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

If you are arriving that late, just grab a cheap motel by the airport, then get up early and start driving, stop in Snowville at Molly's for breakfast (just watch out for Molly's Granddaughter she can dish it out just like her Grandma). From Snowville  you can drive in the back gravel road to Almo or take Sublet through Malta on paved roads. As for camping, reserve sites now for the rest of the nights.

Seth Derr · · harrisburg, pa · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 2,260

Thanks guys.  Booked a site at Castle Rocks for my other nights since City of Rocks weekends are all booked up already.  Really looking forward to checking it out. 

RKM · · Alpine, Utah and Almo, ID · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 2,233

Sent you a PM about possibilities and dirt road directions.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "First time at City of Rocks plus late night arr…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started